Gibson Brands Forums

Flat Wounds

vincentw

Hey Vince, Flats will usually give a good bottom without the higher end. Good mids, and a bit more of a mellow sound. I use D'addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewound for the same sound as a flat, but they last longer, and are very mild on the fretboard. Have a good set with the flats partner.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

I'm waiting on the D'addario ETB92S Nylon Tapewound (short scale) to be released, for my SG Std. That should be a dynamic sound with the Marshall.

I use LaBella or Fender flats on both my pbasses. Now I have the LaBella Deep Talkin 109 sets on them. I love them. Big, warm sound. Less bright than the roudwounds, but full power tone!

They have the best tone IMHO.

sgbass likes Tapewounds, but I haven't tried them yet. I have been told tapewounds sound great too. I want to try them someday.

I like Chromes on both the EB-2 and P-Bass. The P still has plenty of growl, snap, and pop with them, but it tones it down just a bit. The guitarist I play with a lot only occasionally tells me to get that thing under control with the flats. With rounds, he would shudder a little when I picked it up. [flapper] I love the P! The EB-2 sounds very much like a stand-up bass with Chromes. I love the EB, too, but for different reasons. No need for chicken grease on either.

I like Chromes on both the EB-2 and P-Bass. The P still has plenty of growl, snap, and pop with them, but it tones it down just a bit. The guitarist I play with a lot only occasionally tells me to get that thing under control with the flats. With rounds, he would shudder a little when I picked it up. [flapper] I love the P! The EB-2 sounds very much like a stand-up bass with Chromes. I love the EB, too, but for different reasons. No need for chicken grease on either.

Chicken Grease! Haha. I think I'm gonna like the flats for this gig.

I've tried a bunch of different types of flatwounds, mostly on shortscale basses. One of my first basses had some super-high tension flats on it, and I hated them. They probably were the Jamerson Labella set. That lead me to only play rounds for a long time, but I'm over it now. I'm about 50/50 flats:rounds on my basses these days.

I just put some TI Jazz Flats on my SG bass this weekend, which are really low tension and fun to play, and sound pretty good. I've also had rotosound 88s (nylon tapewound) on that bass for a year or so. The roto 88s are my favorite sounding string for that bass. So thumpy and warm, booty-shaking- almost organ-like tone. Good feeling, too, but they do take a bit of getting used to (and a bit of work to install if you are on an SG). There's a very good chance that I will put the 88s back on, but first I wanna give the TIs a chance and see how they do at the next show.

I have D'addario Chromes on my super shortscale practise bass- they are similiar to the TI Jazz Flats, a bit higher tension, and perhaps a bit more balanced string-string. They sound very similar, maybe a hair brigher than the TIs. I've tried the GHS brite flats, they were higher-tension yet, pretty good tone, a bit more growl- but nothing outstanding, and i like the Chromes better. I also tried the Fender tapewounds, but they were cheap feeling and nothing compared to the rotosound tapewounds. I had one of the Fenders unravel on me pretty quick, too.

If you are looking to try a set of flats, Chromes are definitely a good place to start as they are cheap and good and easy to find...

Chromes are a good set overall. They are my go-to set. I find they work better on some basses than others because for a flat they're pretty aggressive. Strong midrange bump and they can be pretty bright, but that all really helps when you roll the highs down a bit. They sit in the mix very well. I also like the higher tension they provide and that you can get them in different scale lengths. I currently have them on my Triumph and it sounds great.

Another good flat is the LaBella's but they're a little pricey. Still, a nice even fat sound.

I've tried DR flats and I find them problematic - pretty good on some basses, not so much on others.

Though TI's are the most musical sounding flat (IMO) I find their super low tension their biggest disadvantage. I have a heavy touch and it's like playing rubber bands. If you have a light touch they do sound great.

Another option is to go with half-rounds. You can get some pretty good thump out of them and the partial round aspect gives a nice edge to the amount of definition.

Your mileage may vary.

There is definitely a flats buffet to pick from and each brand/version can make for variaitons in the results you seek. Like everything else, you'll just have to try them out.

• 1 month later...

That's great to hear that you like flats. I love them too.

I've left the TI Jazz Flats on my SG for a couple of months now. After the first show, I was concerned about their floppiness, as I tend to dig in on stage and felt a lot of buzz. I almost went and bought some Chromes after that show. Instead, I opened up the truss rod a quarter turn or so to raise the action, and they play WAY better. With such low tension, a bit more height than normal isn't an issue at all. Feels really good, No more buzz. The raised action gives them a bit of that bounce i was missing, too.

They've been aging well, I just listened to the recording from our last show, and damn, they sound great. Everything people say about giving them time to settle is true. They've warmed up nice, still aren't as dark as my beloved roto 88s, not as much fat fundamental, but still a nice round bottom. The notes are more defined with more mids. They have a bit of interesting phaseyness to their sound, you can hear it when they aren't even plugged in. I think I will keep them on for a while yet. :D

I used flat wounds for a short while and found them great for old school finger funk, but they also limit the range of your playing. Playing slap style on a bass fitted with flats just doesn't seem to work, not for me anyway. In all fairness though I've always been a roundwound guy and just used the tone knob and my fingers, it gets me there. Glad to hear your happy with them though. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 12 basses (I know, overkill) and I find some of them work better with flats and some like round wounds. I have a late '60's Eko violin bass that really sings with TI Jazz Flats, but otherwise I use GHS flats. It takes a while to get them to mellow out, though.

Archived