Gibson Brands Forums

Time to Mod my SG

Pete B

OK I've sent for the parts, had my piezo bridge for a week and tried it out, sounds great but in fitting that I didn't want to drill any extra holes in the top of the guitar.

Also have a SH-5 Seymore Duncan hanging round the house for years now.

Bouncing this idea for a week now.

The pots in the piezo preamp will go into the bottom two control knobs, one will be a push/pull to switch it out. Piezo earth will also be connected to middle stereo output jack. Converting the normal circuit to 1 vol/1 tone and also adding 2 more push pulls. Output earth of these is going to earth on the stereo jack, both lives will be on the live with a couple of diodes to stop any mixing of circuits.

One of the normal push/pulls will be dual coil tap, the other will be reserved for a preamp that I will put in later.

Hopefully the output will be, mono lead - switch between normal and piezo manually, stereo lead to 2 mono's output of both pickup types.

Also going for a Axesrus "Classic 50s" Humbucker for the neck position.

I'll post the wiring diagram when I get it drawn, it's all in my head atm. [scared]

The piezo pickup is this Nashville Les Paul bridge with fitted Pizo Pickup from http://www.axesrus.com/axecart.htm

• 3 weeks later...

SG%252520layout.jpg

Ok here's the wiring diagram. Was a bit delayed due to the car needed some work first.

I added the diode as the preamp circuit is encapsulated and didnt know if it had one or needed one, but wont hurt when I add the second preamp.

The second preamp I'm going to do the circuit layout and will add after the mods in the pic, hence the second pot switch.

Going down the simple route of putting both pickup types to a stereo output jack so I can using a mono lead have both outputs to a single amp, only having a vol control on each to vary between full and off.

Using a stereo ot twin mono adaptor I can also run two leads/circuits to different amps.

Now to order the parts.

All the new pots are 15mm diameter so a side on battery compartment will fit between them, attached to the backplate.

As the pots are a smaller diameter, there will be more room to fit some lead "Alloy Wheel" stick on weights in the cavity to help balance the old SG heavy neck.

Good luck. There's not much room to work with on those things. Someone gave me an onboard tuner that works with a 9V battery and a push/pull pot and there was no way in hell it would all fit in the cavity of my SG.

Switch pot diameter is 15mm and length is 25mm from base of thread to end of switch so an easy fit. [thumbup]

Archived