Gibson Brands Forums

How to lower action on my Nighthawk Custom Reissue?

i@jim

Hi All:

As a beginner, I sincerely apologize in advance if this question is completely stupid; I tried searching this forum and could not find the answer. So here goes:

I recently became the lucky owner of a Nighthawk Custom Reissue. I love it dearly, but I want to try lowering the action (to see if that helps with finger/hand strain). I do not have an instruction manual. I did download the generic Epiphone manual however, and I am wondering: are those instructions (essentially just unscrewing the two bridge screws slightly) correct for the Nighthawk?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

ij

Hi All:

As a beginner, I sincerely apologize in advance if this question is completely stupid; I tried searching this forum and could not find the answer. [scared][scared][scared]

(****??? Do-it-Yourself thread???*****)

So here goes:

I recently became the lucky owner of a Nighthawk Custom Reissue. I love it dearly, but I want to try lowering the action (to see if that helps with finger/hand strain). I do not have an instruction manual. I did download the generic Epiphone manual however, and I am wondering: are those instructions (essentially just unscrewing the two bridge screws slightly) correct for the Nighthawk?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

ij

#1 - Welcome to our Madhouse of advice and camradarie :

Flo-Post-090710.jpg

#2 - Yes, by doing the "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" theory, tightening will lower your action.

Of course, this depends on how straight your neck is. Sighting down from the Bout end to the nut,

using the strings as a reference staright edge should show you how straight your neck actually is.

Straight is Good, and even just a slight "upbow" (curved torward the front of guitar) is acceptable.

Assuming your neck is good, you'll want to set the "action" to what feels good to you - Epi factory

settings are a bit high for my tastes. I use a ruler that can measure 32nds and 64ths of an inch,

then, measuring at the 12th fret from top of fret to bottom of string, I set my Low E to 2/32nds (4/64ths)

and High E to same. This produces the "feel" I personally want. I like to BEND them high notes, so the

high E settings work for ME. May not be what you want.

Some folks say "just raise it high enough so strings don't Buzz". In reality this is correct, but I

would like to know what the final action measurements are in those cases.

Neck straightness and action settings go hand-in-hand.

Confusing? Let the next Epi member add to this!!!!

Just to help a bit more - go to the Epi Lounge, Click on

"Do-it-Yourself" Thread at top of page.

Scroll down until you see:

***GUITAR SET-UP/TRUSS ROD ADJUSTMENT:

Look at the entries regarding set-ups, should explain in more detail

about setting Action.....

Hey, thank you so much! And thanks for the reassurance.

So I think I still have a little problem here. I have attached a photo of the bridge. It looks different than the Tune-o-matic.

I'm guessing this means I might have to adjust each string separately.

Any ideas/advice much appreciated!

ij

post-35119-058468900 1313764870_thumb.jpg

If the truss Rod is okay you just turn the wee allen screws in the saddles. The truss rod is NOT for adjusting the action. It is for setting the relief in the neck. If any one suggests the truss rod to solely adjust the action, Nod appreciative and walk slowly backwards [lol]

Your best bet is probably to look up a Telecaster how to than a normal Epi/Gibbo one.

The truss rod is NOT for adjusting the action. It is for setting the relief in the neck. If any one suggests the truss rod to solely adjust the action, Nod appreciative and walk slowly backwards [lol]

The truss-rod is absolutely instrumental in setting the action correctly, no-one here has said anything like using the truss-rod solely to adjust the action, that's just ridiculous, but setting the action simply by adjusting the bridge is equally wrong, they both work in concert along with several other factors, such as, the nut height and leveling/dressing of the frets. Admittedly the nut height and fret condition isn't (or shouldn't be) an issue on a new guitar, but to adjust the action correctly the neck relief needs to be checked (and adjusted if necessay) before you even go near the bridge, otherwise there's a good chance you are just wasting your time.

The truss-rod is absolutely instrumental in setting the action correctly, no-one here has said anything like using the truss-rod solely to adjust the action, that's just ridiculous, but setting the action simply by adjusting the bridge is equally wrong, they both work in concert along with several other factors, such as, the nut height and leveling/dressing of the frets. Admittedly the nut height and fret condition isn't (or shouldn't be) an issue on a new guitar, but to adjust the action correctly the neck relief needs to be checked (and adjusted if necessay) before you even go near the bridge, otherwise there's a good chance you are just wasting your time.

I just put it because I have seen "Expert" advice else where on the www where people have said to adjust the truss rod to adjust the action. In other words never worry about the saddles. Thats why I said if the Truss rod (I probably should have said the relief in hindsight) is okay just adjust the saddles. But also because the Truss rod had been mentioned a few times and the lefty loosen righty tighty comments that always comes up when mentioning truss rods.. It's easy for someone without the experience to jump in all guns blazing, pick up a few key words get mixed up and make a boo boo.

It was just a little warning that is all. Chances are the poster is trawling a few sites and probably used google too. The chances of getting wrong info is increased dramatically. Especially when everyone expects an Epi to be T-O-M.

... It's easy for someone without the experience to jump in all guns blazing, pick up a few key words get mixed up and make a boo boo.

It was just a little warning that is all. Chances are the poster is trawling a few sites and probably used google too. The chances of getting wrong info is increased dramatically. Especially when everyone expects an Epi to be T-O-M.

Thanks! I appreciate it. You are quite right - I am a beginner. And this sort of caution really is helpful.

ij

post-35119-093410100 1313807428_thumb.jpg

#1 - Welcome to our Madhouse of advice and camradarie :

Flo-Post-090710.jpg

#2 - Yes, by doing the "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" theory, tightening will lower your action.

Neck straightness and action settings go hand-in-hand.

Confusing? Let the next Epi member add to this!!!!

When I posted my own answer (IF you must know) my girlfriend had just been diagnosed with CANCER. requireing CHEMO.

2 years to live. My state of mind was assuredly off, meaning my answers could have been wrong. Not surprising, as I had many

other thigs on my mind.

i@jim - your nigthawk board radius is 14" should you desire to make your own or urchase an abve or under

radius gauge - I made my own "under-string" gauge for my IBBY bsss when setting up. Worked great

AF.

ok. "Mr. Expert" - take the time and effort tho make your own DIY thread. Good luck. Take the time and effort to start

your own Gear Review thread. Sure is easy to ctitcize what exists, rather then actually take the time to explain HOW to

pull off adjusting a Nighthawk Bridge, eh? Don't just contribute criticism, contribute HELP!!!

I posted a semantic eror, which in hindsight, could be miinterpterted. I will correct that. Setting the ation and intonation

on a NightHawk is as easy as pie. EXPLAINING it via the printed word - a wee bit harder. An expert of 29 posts, eh? Contribute,

don't cticize - it's what we do here. We're not always totally on-target. but we try to HELP.

You-tube vids for setting up a STRAT bridge are all over the place (most similar to nighthaxk bridge). Are you too lazy to even

reaearch, link and post refernces to those vids, or are you just another "nay-Sayer" who can criticize, but won't step-up to

actually contribute?

Not attepting to start a fued, but get off your @ss and HELP, not complain.

When I posted my own answer (IF you must know) my girlfriend had just been diagnosed with CANCER. requireing CHEMO.

2 years to live. My state of mind was assuredly off, meaning my answers could have been wrong. Not surprising, as I had many

other thigs on my mind.

i@jim - your nigthawk board radius is 14" should you desire to make your own or urchase an abve or under

radius gauge - I made my own "under-string" gauge for my IBBY bsss when setting up. Worked great.

Tired now will check back later so see if the fued is on....

AF.

WTF

1st off did I say anything about your post. I mentioned the truss rod because as I said before I have known people to pick up key words from posts and jump in regardless. Some would call it power of suggestion. Oh look he said truss rod and he said truss rod in big blue writing I must turn this thing in here Better give it a good yonk and Ping oh **** what was that.

Plus I wouldn't have suggested a strat as a strat is trem'd hence why I suggested a Telecaster set up because the majority of Epi ones are T-O-M. IMO A Tele is closer to the Nighthawk than anything else that you will find a popular how to thread.

29 posts here. Yeah But have almost 20 years of bass below my belt and have yet to pay for any work to any of my gear. I only signed up here to get info on the Nighthawk and Wilshire. Been Bass up to now and as the Bass end was a bit poor for my 2 epis I never bothered signing up just dropped by for the old nosey. So before you call whether I am an expert or not I wouldn't say I am so thanks for the compliment, did you actually think that just because I have 29 posts here = a few months experience on the instrument? I just didn't want the OP who by his own words a Newbie to pick out the key words and jump in and **** up his new guitar.

Sorry to hear about the Mrs but get off your high horse without jumping down peoples throats . I actually thought this was a decent place. But frankly your post has me beginning to wonder if it is indeed full of wankers. Maybe I should have went with the Telecaster they are a bit more friendly over there.

Now quite frankly I don't know why I have had to explain a post that was to stop a newbie from making a big **** off mistake that could have left his guitar in the scrap heap.

Edit you know something **** it Bye Bye

I just put it because I have seen "Expert" advice else where on the www where people have said to adjust the truss rod to adjust the action. In other words never worry about the saddles. Thats why I said if the Truss rod (I probably should have said the relief in hindsight) is okay just adjust the saddles. But also because the Truss rod had been mentioned a few times and the lefty loosen righty tighty comments that always comes up when mentioning truss rods.. It's easy for someone without the experience to jump in all guns blazing, pick up a few key words get mixed up and make a boo boo.

So, um, are you saying that " In rod we truss ????? "

My apologies to anyoone whom I may have peeved off, including you, johnston.

post was a bit out of character for me. without going into great detail, G/F

as 2 or less years to live.

Hang around, dude. It's rare we get into squabbles (does happen), forgive and forget.

Perhaps a misunderstanding on my part. I suppose knowing what is to come was a bit

tough, came out wrong way. You are welcome nere, so I extend the olive branch.

that's all I can do.

My apologies to anyoone whom I may have peeved off, including you, johnston.

post was a bit out of character for me. without going into great detail, G/F

as 2 or less years to live.

Hang around, dude. It's rare we get into squabbles (does happen), forgive and forget.

Perhaps a misunderstanding on my part. I suppose knowing what is to come was a bit

tough, came out wrong way. You are welcome nere, so I extend the olive branch.

that's all I can do.

Man, that is bad, bad news, AF. I don't even know what to say, or what you must be thinking or feeling.

Regardless of the prognosis, or how it ACTUALLY turns out, or WHEN it turns out, I hope for the best for all of you who are there with it. And, know I got your back any way possible.

Archived