Gibson Brands Forums

Traveling with pets... internationally.

TommyK

Next month I will be picking up my daughter and her family as they re-enter the country for the first time in 3 years. They have in tow a dog they took with them and another dog they acquired over 'there'.

They are following all the rules and regs to get the dogs, tagged and bagged for the flight out of Frankfurt. Anything they might need to know before they unload the dogs off the plane at O'Hare. Do they keep them in quarantine for any length of time?

Make sure the dogs are kept in a climate controlled portion of the plane or they're likely to get a very sad surprise when they land. I have heard horror stores about pets in crates spending flights in the same area as the baggage. Cruel to say the least.

There are no quarantine regulations anymore. Make sure you walk you dog just before you turn them over - the airlines won't walk them but they may try to give them water. Which may result in your dog getting a kidney infection if they "hold it" or a rather smelly ride from the airport if they don't. (Personal experience here).

The air carriers are supposed to, by law, make sure the critters have water. The owner has to provide an accessable water dish and kibble.

I expect a odoriferous ride from the air port. That's why God invented car windows. :^o I have been asked by my daughter to bring water for them. I will be bringing a gallon jug of water to replenish their dishes. The other alternative is for them to pay $5.00 for a 16 oz bottle of water at the airport.

My daughter found a package of doggy carrier absorbent pads to place in the bottom of the carrier. We'll see how that works. On the up side she got a package of 5 with only one used. She got it at a boot sale for one euro.... less the used pad. of course.

Do they have to bring Certificates of Health from a vet?

I would -definitely. What other kinds of paperwork? Anything for customs?

I guess the airline or customs website could help them.

Their vet might know too.

I would bring anything possible to avoid quarantine. If officials here don't see a proof of good health ( live a certificate); who knows what they will do.

My friends dog bit someone and it was quarantined for two weeks because he had not given it rabies shots, and had no proof of rabies vaccination.

I guess they wait the two weeks to see if it develops in the dog so they know if the human is in the clear.

Archived