Gibson Brands Forums

what SG??

busybear

Hi, i am new here so please bear with me. My question is this, I all ready have an Epiphone G400 with the Angus Signature pick up installed and i love it, but now i can afford a real Gibson Sg Which one would give me the most bang for the buck? A 61 Re issue or the Sg standard? i need one with a thin neck the price difference is about $600.00 buck's here in Ontario Canada.Thanks for any suggestions.(:

If you want a thinner neck you have to get the 61 RI. The standard neck is a bit fatter.

+1

Or i you dig that Angus pickup there might be a new 50th anniversary sg Angus model in aged cherry later this year.There should be a slim neck there. What i understand prize tag on that one would be between standard and 61 sg. If it comes, only stuff i read on net, haven't seen any official from Gibson on this. Anyway you can't go wrong with a 61 sg, great and beautiful guitar. Good Luck

I would suggest checking out the 50th Anniversary Robby Krieger SG. It's priced between the Standard & the '61 RI, it has the slim neck, killer-sounding '57 Classic pickups & the oh-so-cool Maestro vibrato. I love mine, and I played several Standards & '61 RIs, as well as a VOS Custom Shop RI before choosing it. One of the best SGs I've ever played, at any price.

th_kriegersg004.jpg th_kriegersg003.jpg th_kriegersg001.jpg

The 61RI is pretty high up on my "wanna get someday" list. I prefer the vintage-style small pickplate and the more contoured body, not to mention those '57 classic pickups. 61RI is the top dog of all SG designs IMHO. Of course I've never touched the Krieger one mentioned above or the Angus one, for all I know they could be great too. Find a dealer and check 'em out yourself if possible.

Archived