Gibson Brands Forums

tobaccoburst help :)

notlimhxcx

hi all! forum newbie here. need help in identifying this sweet baby :) im told she's an '82 Japan made epiphone standard. but "published documents" would show that japan epiphone les pauls before '89 does not exist etc, we all know the existing history sheet.. but based on my "research" and comparison with my other MIJ guitars, this seems to be a matsumoku made epi since that company was the one making guitars for many brands at that time.. i compared this with my 1980 aria pro II 3 pup black beauty and it's almost 80% - 90% similar in build quality, esp the tenon inside.. can anyone help me out? thanks much!!

here are the pics..

1.jpg

1b.jpg

1a.jpg

1d.jpg

Thing is Pete is probably one of the best around at doing IDs, and he has been around here for a very long time and is one of the best respected members in this place, he never capitalized anything, he only used bold to emphasize that very, very important point for you. He is also German and the translation can sometimes be a little off, but he does know what he's talking about regardless of the language.

You should be the one checking your attitude, not him.

what attitude have i shown rastus? i joined this forum to gain knowledge in something that i want to learn more about. 2nd, he already did that kind of thing on a new member who was also looking for help on another forum that's why i posted the comment above.

slagged him bigtime? man, excuse me but that aint slagging. if i was to "slag" him, my words would be much like his words. i just reacted to what he posted because he keeps on doing that to newbies and people who are trying to learn something, maybe not here but on another forum. i joined here to search for something and learn but if that's the attitude of the "seniors" and "Best IDers" here, well then i understand now.

EDIT: thanks RTH for your help.

Actually, looking a little closer, its possible that it is a Les Paul Standard LQ Series (JDM also). These have the scripted logo on the headstock and a lacquer finish instead of the standard poly finish. What is the finish like on that guitar? Looking at the yellowed binding, I'm thinking its an LQ.

for reference, i have a '96 SG which is nitro and an ARIA pro black beauty which is poly. for this tobacco, i say pretty much in between these two finishes.. may i point out, and im not making any assumptions here, that it has a single bolt inside the long tenon pretty much like 80's-ish arias do. so in addition, between the LPS series and the LQ, which of them has a tenon like this?

I'm not sure about the tenon, except that the LQ has a long tenon and the LPS is unspecified in any English documentation that I could find. As far as the finish, the LQ is not nitro, so it wont look the same. It will be similar though. Nitro is/was illegal to spray in Japan, so they substituted with lacquer on the LQ series. If it doesnt look quite like nitro or poly, then its probably lacquer. It also yellows quite a bit as lacquer does.

The LQ Series is in pretty high demand, and i've read that they are comparable in quality and price to the Elitist Series.

EDIT: Also, that would put your guitar in the 2005-2006 model year range.

My pleasure! [thumbup]

Dont sweat the Asian/1980's thing. That kind of misinformation runs rampant on ebay and craigslist. Dating Epiphone guitars can be very confusing and misleading. Too many people get certain bits of information confused and incorrectly date thier Epis by about a decade. I see it all the time. Keep in mind that Matsumoku/Aria was making really good Gibson copies throughout the 1980's. It probably wasnt much of a stretch for them to produce Epiphones with similar construction to the Arias they had already been building.

There has been a 4pg thread on another forum about this LP and Pete has been nothing but class throughout all of the verbal garbage. It does say Epiphone and it is said to be from 1982 but up to this point no one can produce documentation or official word from Gib/Epi that they were ever made.

Yeah, it is. lol. But that lacquer finish probably makes it look older than it is.

Don't get me wrong Rob, I think you're more than likely right, I was eluding to the different info supplied in the OP, made it extremely difficult for anyone, with the exception of you of course, to identify it. on the supplied information it didn't exist.

Archived