Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Tal Farlow - any pictures & comments please

AlanC

Hi i've just acquired a Tal Farlow. Really like the guitar. Playability and tone are great. I'm interested in what your views are of these guitars. Also please post photos of yours. Here's a photo of mine :-

AC1_1102.jpg

A really nice guitar....

I always loved Tal's 'woody' tone....obviously part player, part guitar....

I had the pleasure of seeing him on tour in the UK some years ago in a trio format

These guitars are possibly like the Byrdland in terms of enthusiastic owners [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

sorry for the bad fuzzy picture.. the Blonde shown here had Gold hardware and all in Tinted Natural ..

DSCF9927.jpg

Here's another blonde Tal with gold hardware. These photos are from the original dealer--I should have some of my own but can't find them now:

3282ee7d.jpg

I bought it new in 1995, but didn't keep it for long. I had a problem with the necks on all the reissue Tals I played, in that the shape of the neck felt too full on the bass side, which I found uncomfortable. I owned three of them, so it's not like I didn't keep trying. The blonde was the best of them, though.

Danny W.

Danny.... where are you at? what State or Province? I know the one I bought , I had to special order with the Gold hard ware.. it was a 1000.00 upgrade..

I was living in MA when I bought it, and I sold it through a dealer--don't remember which one.

Danny W.

sorry for the bad fuzzy picture.. the Blonde shown here had Gold hardware and all in Tinted Natural ..

DSCF9927.jpg

The gold hardware looks great. Great looking guitar. They really are beautiful. Congrats!

Here's another blonde Tal with gold hardware. These photos are from the original dealer--I should have some of my own but can't find them now:

3282ee7d.jpg

I bought it new in 1995, but didn't keep it for long. I had a problem with the necks on all the reissue Tals I played, in that the shape of the neck felt too full on the bass side, which I found uncomfortable. I owned three of them, so it's not like I didn't keep trying. The blonde was the best of them, though.

Danny W.

Danny you continue to knock me out with the great guitars you currently own or have owned.

I actually really like the neck on mind and love the woody tone. Mine has unusually good pickups.

A beauty! The Tal was originally issued in the 60s with a light sunburst finish and nickel hardware. It was a trim variation on the original full scale ES350. Gibson has reissued it a couple times. They've always had a cool vibe to me. I ran a music store back in the late 60s & early 70s. Had one Tal in stock most of that time that just wouldn't sell. Guys either wanted a 175 or would stretch up to an L5. It was a great sounding guitar, I shoulda bought it for myself!

A beauty! The Tal was originally issued in the 60s with a light sunburst finish and nickel hardware. It was a trim variation on the original full scale ES350. Gibson has reissued it a couple times. They've always had a cool vibe to me. I ran a music store back in the late 60s & early 70s. Had one Tal in stock most of that time that just wouldn't sell. Guys either wanted a 175 or would stretch up to an L5. It was a great sounding guitar, I shoulda bought it for myself!

Yeah sok66, I prefer my Tal Farlow to my 175 and my L4. Better neck as it has a longer scale. Also I enjoy the woody tone and the shape of the body. Very comfortable for us bigger guys to play.

Archived