Gibson Brands Forums

Another Funk Track

Tman5293

I was just messing around with some stuff on the guitar today and I started playing something that sounded real funky to me so I thought I record it.

I was making this up as I was playing it and it's a little sloppy but I still think it sounds pretty good. It's a little low on volume so make sure you turn your speakers up a bit:

http://soundcloud.com/tman5293/funk-improve/

As usual, I would love to hear what you guys think about it.

Enjoy! msp_cool.gif

I like it, it gets a wee bit repetitive at a point but it was still enjoyable.

I did notice the repetitiveness myself. Even as I was playing it. Tried changing it up a bit but I kept going back to that same base riff.

You have great ideas and you are very fluid all you need to do is work on your meter. Get a metronome or click track or drum loop. You will be amazed at how much you will tight up your rhythms, specially in funk.

I have a metronome...............................it's been sitting on the same shelf collecting dust for 4 years though...........................msp_unsure.gif

You have great ideas and you are very fluid all you need to do is work on your meter. Get a metronome or click track or drum loop. You will be amazed at how much you will tight up your rhythms, specially in funk.

Sorry but I have to disagree, I never play with a drummer or metronome of any sort and it's taught me how to keep a rhythm going without a metronome/beat.

Sorry but I have to disagree, I never play with a drummer or metronome of any sort and it's taught me how to keep a rhythm going without a metronome/beat.

You are but one person...and i don't know but maybe your timing is not as good as you think it is...:)

MOST people will benefit from playing with a click/metronome.

You are but one person...and i don't know but maybe your timing is not as good as you think it is...:)

MOST people will benefit from playing with a click/metronome.

True, but aren't each of us individually "but one person"? I admit my own timing isn't perfect, but I can easily play without one.

I tried the whole metronome thing but found it to be incredibly boring and annoying. I'm dissing people who do use metronomes, I'm simply trying to say it's not the only way to improve timing.

Metronomes are great, but I find playing with a backing track to be funner and have a similar (if not identical) effect of helping you become more solidly timed. It'll help your timing out, though playing without a metronome or a backing track allows you to take liberties with the music that a backing track or metronome wouldn't be as lenient with.

Archived