Gibson Brands Forums

My Dads Guitar

dale515

Hi I was hoping someone could help me. My dad left me his prize Gibson acustic guitar. The Guitar was bought for him by my mom, I have the pictures of him opening it up on Christmas Eve. The picture was taken about 1960, so I am assuming this guitar is pre-1960, my only thought is they didnt have much money and its doubtful that my mom could have purchased a new guitar. The only serial number that I can find is inside the hole below the neck and it reads T3291 7? there is also a tag of sort inside with the number 150 on it. Can anyone help me identify this guitar? I would never be interested in selling it but I would like to know more about it. My father has been gone 20 years, and my son plays it now, he will inherit it when I am gone. Help anyone?

Thanks

Dale

Hi Dale, your factory order number (beginning with the letter "T") dates to 1958, so that matches your story perfectly.

As for the "150", I'm not sure what to make of that. Any way you could post a photo of the guitar?

Next issue is to teach myself to play, I grew up with music, my father and his friends sitting around the kitchen drinking strohs beer, every Christmas was a big party with lots of music. Man to go back to that time in my life. [-o<

Dale, I would estimate your guitar to be worth somewhere in the $3500 to $4500 range, depending on condition and originality. As for insurance, that's something that you'll have to investigate and decide whether you need or want to insure it individually.

In a sense it's priceless. My grandniece now has a fiddle that my brother played and my dad played and his mother played. That kind of thing is magical.

You have a winner there. I'm sure you will feel the magic when you play it while drinking a Stroh's.

In a sense it's priceless. My grandniece now has a fiddle that my brother played and my dad played and his mother played. That kind of thing is magical.

You have a winner there. I'm sure you will feel the magic when you play it while drinking a Stroh's.

Man, I haven,t seen a Stroh's beer in years. I am sure they were bought up by a larger brewer. Fire-brewed...indeed!

And...nice J50 there Dale 515!

Rod

Archived