Gibson Brands Forums

Why did so many jack up their guitars to the chin in the old days?

Lungimsam

<...>

Again, hope this doesn't offend but in that pic you look just like Boyd Coddington of American Hot Rod fame.

Never heard of him so I googled him.

No offense taken.

BTW, that pic was taken at our regular Tuesday afternoon gig. It's the birthplace of the US Navy SEALS, and all that stuff on the wall is the real deal. Every year the SEALS have a reunion, and many of them leave those things on the wall before they go. It's an outdoor marina/bait shop/deli and although they would like to modernize it, it is sacred ground to many Navy SEALS so they keep as close to the way it was back in the 40s.

x_Jim_water_Mary_Jane_Clark.jpg

BTW at high tide, the water us underneath that deck.

But back on topic.

I play the guitar where it is most comfortable for me. I play my best that way. On the other hand, I know that this is show-biz, and if I were in a band where slinging it low was more important than the music I was playing, I'd sling it low. On the other hand, the chances of me joining a band like that are pretty slim ;) -- I'd have to be really hungry and with limited opportunities (I am a survivor).

Notes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When referring to Cash, Dylan and others from the 50's and 60's it is well to remember they did not have the greatest acoustic pick ups, therefore they used a mounted microphone aimed at the soundhole.

If they were also singers they learned the trick of placing a 2nd vocal microphone high so you are singing up into it allowing for better control of the diaphragm, which is where the true power of singing comes from...sort of hard to stand up straight, with you're vocal microphone high, aiming your guitar at a second microphone aimed at the sound hole..while your holding a guitar down below the kneecaps.

Archived