Gibson Brands Forums

Semi archtop

Jguitar

Nothing, or at least very little, can be determined from the serial number alone. Also, the 9-digit serial number you posted is not typical of any standard Gibson format.

Detailed photos will be required.

Hi and thanks, I will try and upload some pics but I think they are too big

As Larry wrote - that serial# has too many numbers for a 2006 which should be 8 numbers in this format: YDDDYRRR - http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

That's why I'm asking for better pics - close up of the headstock front an back.

nibs - the ends of the metal frets are covered by the binding on Gibson electrics -

ts0131introA.jpg

NOTE - Gibson USA goes to a 9 digit serial number in early July 2005..

The sixth number is now a batch number- batch 0 starts at the beginning of the day, and once we stamp 699, the batch number will change to 1. The first 5 numbers remain the same, the last 3 numbers will remain the same. The only difference is the addition of this batch indicator.

Even though your serial# (apparently) checks out, a real serial# could have been put on a fake Gibson. This happens often.

I hate to tell you, that pic of your fretboard doesn't show nibs - so I would very suspicious of this guitar being a genuine Gibson.

SouthLanarkshire-20110905-00019.jpg

Even though your serial# (apparently) checks out, a real serial# could have been put on a fake Gibson.

I hate to tell you, that pic of your fretboard doesn't show nibs - so I would very suspicious of this guitar being a genuine Gibson.

SouthLanarkshire-20110905-00019.jpg

I know I have been looking at that, what I did read was that some custom sometimes are like this or maybe been re fretted, I checked my custom LP and my heart sank. But it its feels like the real deal

cheers

From what I can see in the photos, neither the headstock nor the pickguard look like they were made by Gibson.

The points on the headstock inlay should almost touch the truss rod cover--maybe 1/4" spacing.

Also, the fretboard looks like rosewood, which typically would not be used with that inlay.

Better photos would help.

Danny W.

A refret is a possibility, but highly doubtful on a 2006 (if that year is correct).

A look at the front of the headstock might further confirm a fake as well as a look at the bridge posts - on a fake they're generally larger than a genuine Gibson and sometimes have a screwdriver slot in the top. I also think that the tuner keys were the wrong type for what this model looks like.

Some other members might be able to chime in on this for you.

From what I can see in the photos, neither the headstock nor the pickguard look like they were made by Gibson.

The points on the headstock inlay should almost touch the truss rod cover--maybe 1/4" spacing.

Also, the fretboard looks like rosewood, which typically would not be used with that inlay.

Better photos would help.

Danny W.

I see what you mean I checked this against my LP and it is different. I tell you something if this is a fake its the best I have ever came across. I have been playing for years and this looks the biz. But I am starting to get that bad feeling

I see what you mean I checked this against my LP and it is different. I tell you something if this is a fake its the best I have ever came across. I have been playing for years and this looks the biz. But I am starting to get that bad feeling

Add it up--has multiple top binding, inlay and top jack like an ES-355, but a rosewood fretboard, unbound pickguard with no threaded rod, no nibs and incorrect headstock dimensions. What conclusion would you draw from all that?

Danny W.

Ok.. take this for what it cost you but from the very first pics I thought .. awwww.. fake :(

Not much in the subsequent posts has changed my mind.

I am not an expert so forgive me if I am wrong. At this point I would take detailed photos and send them with the serial number to gibson.

If you can get a mirror inside the sound hole check the pots as well. Chinese Gipsons usually skimp on the innards.

Archived