Gibson Brands Forums

LP Trad Pro or Plus Top?

JamGuy

Hi all... I'm kind of new to the world of LP's but have decided that the time has come. I'm up in the air on which to choose... I like the look of the plus top standards and I know they have a maple capped body and wondering how it would compare tonally to the tradtitonal pro model...which as far as I can tell has no maple cap or p/up covers but has a nice chunky neck, coil spitting, and a satin finish. I'm leaning towards the trad pro as nearly every review of them is quite positive... any input would be helpful...cheers!

They are basically the same guitars....The Plain/Plus top has "smoother" sounding pickups....

The Trad has more "aggressive" pickups.....Shop carefully, I prefer buying online, and on sale.......

Unless you're buying one of the anniversary models, Epis don't usually have a true maple top. Just a veneer. It won't have the same effect on the tone as a full cap.

As for which one? Get the korina trad pro. Best Epi LP ever.

EG

Elias, I just swapped the stock Epi zebras for a set of Seymour Duncans (JB/Jazz). I was kinda "meh" on the Epi pickups, but man, now I'm so glad I swapped. The JB/Jazz combo really sings through the korina!!!

thanks all for the info...

As I stated, I'm leaning towards the Trad Pro... I really like the sound of the satin neck, and the the shape sounds a little more substantial than that of the Std... I don't have really big hands but I really like the feel of a beefier neck. I had considered the korina finish as well but am torn between any number of the finishes... not having an LP, I'm temped by the more traditional look of the cherry burst or even black...hell, they all look pretty sweet. I may try to get to my local GC and try a side by side of the Trad pro and std models before I make a final decision but I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy the coil splitting option. Cosmetically though, I just love the flamey look of the vintage sunburst std (even if it is a veneer)

I'll keep you all posted if and when I pull the trigger and get some pics up when the time comes...cheers

I'd opt for the Trad Pro.When I went to try out my Trad Pro I plugged it into the store's Blues Jr. and was sold on it right away the versatility of having the split coil combned with the dead on PAF pickup sound when in humbucker mode was a no brainer.

I'd opt for the Trad Pro.When I went to try out my Trad Pro I plugged it into the store's Blues Jr. and was sold on it right away the versatility of having the split coil combned with the dead on PAF pickup sound when in humbucker mode was a no brainer.

Same here as far as the Blues Junior. I have one at home and its my go-to amp at any music store to get a good feel for a guitar's sound.

Archived