Gibson Brands Forums

New Bass Day - SG Content

Superdick2112

Well, she finally arrived from Sweetwater Music today - my new SG bass. The first thing that struck me when I plugged her in was how much output the thing has - simply brutal! I lowered the bridge pickup quite a bit to tame the spikey highs, tweaked my amp & VT pedal settings to suit the bass, and it sounds very nice & pretty darned beefy now. The neck is chunky but comfy, the overall weight is heavier than I thought it would be but still very manageable (much lighter than some of my other basses, and feather-weight compared to my Spector), and while the tone might not be suited for the heavier rock & metal my band plays, it should sound fantastic for some of the classic rock we do, especially the Cream & Black Sabbath covers. I do believe she's a keeper. Here are a few pix of the bad boy, along with my favorite guitar, my 50th Anniversary Robby Krieger SG. What a nice pair they make. Enjoy!

th_SGBass1002.jpg th_SGBass1001.jpg th_SGBass1003.jpg

hey cool ! i'm expecting mine as well today.

The body is not that much bigger than the SG guitar is it ?

The bodies are suprisingly close in size, with the bass being close to an inch wider & taller, & about a 1/2 inch thicker. It weighs a bit more than the guitar as well, and upper fret access much better on the guitar due to the extended heel & neck joint on the bass. Congrats, & I hope you love your new SG Bass as much as I love mine!

thanks how is the stock intonation.. with the bridge issues been discussed on the forums ?

I was able to achieve proper intonation, but the E-string saddle is back about as far as it can go. If I go heavier in string gauge I'll probably need the spacer bar, but if anything, I'll probably go a bit lighter - I usually play D'addario ProSteels in the 40 - 100 gauge, and this baby has no shortage of bottom end, so I think the ProSteels should work nicely. I'm really enjoying the SG Bass - it is fairly light & easy on the shoulder, the action is easy & supple, and while there is a bit of neck dive, it is manageable. A very cool & fun bass to play.

Archived