Gibson Brands Forums

Epi w/ 50's round neck

drew365

Hi, I'm interested in trying a Epi Les Paul with a 50's round neck if one exists. I looked through all the product descriptions for Les Pauls and most of the Epi's don't give much info. Can someone tell me a model that has this neck so I can try and search it out to play?

Good suggestion from Peter!

I'd also suggest you have a look at the Epiphone Les Paul Tradirional Pro. That guitar has a chunky neck ... much more so than the Epi '56 Goldtop (you would assume that it would be exactly what you are looking for, but seems to have a pretty standard 60's neck).

Jim

Good suggestion from Peter!

I'd also suggest you have a look at the Epiphone Les Paul Tradirional Pro. That guitar has a chunky neck ... much more so than the Epi '56 Goldtop (you would assume that it would be exactly what you are looking for, but seems to have a pretty standard 60's neck).

Jim

Just to add to this Im aware of the following having 50's Necks

1959 Les Paul Standard

1960 V1 Les Paul Standard

Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Standard

Les Paul Tribute (NOT the Plus)

1956 Gold Top

The Gibson Studios for the most part use 50's necks but on Epiphones its far less common...

Just to add to this Im aware of the following having 50's Necks

1959 Les Paul Standard

1960 V1 Les Paul Standard

Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Standard

Les Paul Tribute (NOT the Plus)

1956 Gold Top

The Gibson Studios for the most part use 50's necks but on Epiphones its far less common...

Nix on the '56 Gold Top. It's neck is no different than your average Standard Epi LP. Like Midi stated it's about the same as a standard 60's neck.

I played an Epi STANDARD Honeyburst the other day with a beautifully chunky neck....about the same as a Traditional Pro. They had two others but none were as beefy as the first one.

My gold top:

img9422.jpg

The goldtop I used to have had a very thin, flat neck. My new ebony model GT has the same neck as just about every other Epi I've played: that middle of the road girth. SG Faded was super fat, Goldtop was super thin, it's just average.. Good luck on your search!

The DC neck is a fixture of the Gibson 08 LP Standard so its a sub D type neck, it feels chunky to me at least...

PS sorry on the 1956 Gold Top #-o (I have held & played one...)

Well, one would think the '56 Gt's neck to be thick and chunky but it's just like my Ebony Standard. I like a beefier neck because of my weak wrist (two carpal tunnel syndrome surgeries) but of my twenty plus guits none have a 50's type of neck. I do have a worn cherry on lay away and its neck is slightly chunkier than the typical standard--close to a trad pro. It looks like this:

P1010001.jpg

Archived