Gibson Brands Forums

I can't believe I'm asking about CAPOS lol

swleary

I'm currently looking for a Capo but having problems understanding what they really are and what makes a good one or who makes a good one. I see planet waves a ton of them but not sure.

Curently looking for one that goes from my SG to my GF's daughters acoustic.

If you don't know what they really are, why do you feel you need one?

They all do the same thing, there are so many different styles of capo, just find one that is easy for you to use.

Capos are not really 'cheaters'. It is good, however, to know how to finger all the chords. There are times, though, when one comes in handy. If you are jamming and the vocalist needs to sing in a different key. A capo is a quick way to transpose on the run. I Bluegrass jam and have not capoed much in the last year. This weekend, however, I was jamming with a guy who capoed EVERYTHING. HE played every song using the usual key of G shapes, G C & D. Since he didn't, I suspect, know what key he never said what key he was playing in. I had to guess. It was easier to match his capo, then play G C D chords. The only other time I might capo is if some nit-wit calls out the key of Ab or other flatted key. [cursing] There's always one smart ### in the crowd.

Kysers. I have 3. They work well. However, even though it is fully padded the lever that engages the back of the neck can be a bit severe to the neck wood. My Yamaha has the dents to prove it. I currently use a Shubb. I like it because a.) you can adjust the tension with a screw. b.) once set the lever action can be used for quick release and repositioning.

Check your daughter's 'acoustic'. If it is a classical acoustic with a non radiused fret board you will need a different type of capo for hers. Your SG and folk guitars have radiused boards, so if your daughter has a folk guitar, you should be able to transfer from one to the other with no problem.

Classical guitars, usually flamenco guitars use a capo called a cejilla. At first glance it looks like a rubber stamp. It consists of wooden base or shoe that spans the width of the fret board. There is a tensioning key in the middle, on top which looks like a cello tuner. A nylon guitar string is attached to the shoe, then passed around behind the neck then wrapped around the tuning peg. Turning the peg tightens the string, firmly attaching the whole assembly to the guitar. A leather strap keeps the string from cutting into the neck.

Not a capo... in ways a capo... <grin>

As one comment on the instrument put it, "Actually Berlin had a 'transposing piano' - the piano had a wheel (or a lever, on the piano Berlin called his 'Buick'). The keyboard could be shifted left or right so that the hammers could hit other strings, allowing the music to be mechanically transposed to other keys.

m

As one comment on the instrument put it, "Actually Berlin had a 'transposing piano' - the piano had a wheel (or a lever, on the piano Berlin called his 'Buick'). The keyboard could be shifted left or right so that the hammers could hit other strings, allowing the music to be mechanically transposed to other keys.

m

DooD! It's that simple! Me I was trying to figure out how to get a 2x2 in there.

Tommy...

Yeah, my first thought was that the strings were on something like a giant whammy bar and were stretched - or that something like a capo came together to "shorten" the strings. The moving keyboard seems a much easier answer.

m

m

Why didn't he just move his hands or scoot over on the bench a little bit?

I bought a Kyser classic capo. Its for both electric and acoustic (I asked in the store lol). Seems well built and easy to use. I don't really ever need to use one however my gf's daughter needs to capo for some Taylor Swift song. Metallica don't use capos lol. I will borrow it if any song I want to play needs one :)

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Much appreciated :)

I don't really ever need to use one however my gf's daughter needs to capo for some Taylor Swift song.

[lol] ... sounds familiar. My daughter was using a crayola marker with some hair bands wrapped around it to learn a few Taylor Swift songs. I thought I'd be a nice dad and buy her something a little better.

Archived