Gibson Brands Forums

risky advice

jefleppard

i just had a semi-pro luthier tell me that when a guitar sounds like its full of socks that overbracing is likely the problem. he suggested that the braces need to be scalloped further by carving them out (carefully by a pro!) with a utility knife. this would open the guitar right up. just the suggestion alone frightened me but does it work?

talk to me.

From a 10,000' perspective, he is right in many cases, but that said, I wouldn't advise anyone go after their guitar's bracing with an Exacto knife all on their own. I only trust a few people that I know to do something like that, and they are highly skilled luthiers.

i just had a semi-pro luthier tell me that when a guitar sounds like its full of socks that overbracing is likely the problem. he suggested that the braces need to be scalloped further by carving them out (carefully by a pro!) with a utility knife. this would open the guitar right up. just the suggestion alone frightened me but does it work?

talk to me.

I don't think I'd ever advise anyone to monkey around with the existing bracing. Some guitars are definitely overbraced when compared to others, but there's a lot more to it and I won't even pretend to know what I'm talking about; that's for the Rens of the world.

I made a new top for a '68 Fender Shenadoah and I braced it how it made sense to me. It may sound like a million bucks or a million turds or it may explode before I tune it to pitch.... I have no idea. I'm far FAR from educated in bracing but I do laugh at those who can "predict" how a guitar will sound based on something like that. The best anyone can hope for is to make a top that is structurally stable that will still vibrate. And with luck, it will sound pleasing too. I wonder how many scientifically designed tops sound like pigsnot and some hit-or-miss designs sound great?

2uf58v5.jpg

Have you investigated any other aspects:

Old strings = muffled sound.

Dead neck/body joint = muffled sound.

Socks loose in the body = muffled sound.

And also - has the guitar ALWAYS sounded dead, or has it got worse lately.....

[and ksd - interested in how that sounds with the symetrical bracing - rather than Martin-like asymetrical]

Glad to see its Bryan Kimsey your talking about. Bryan is well known for doing this on Martin's, and has been doing it for years. He's probably one of the very few people in the country you could trust to do this. Hadn't heard he was doing it on Gibson's though.

Shaving the braces to improve tone on an already built guitar was once fairly common, not much anymore, in large part because if not done properly and with sensitivity it can ruin a guitar. Not surprisingly, a lot of not very skilled luthiers were making some money "improving" someone's D-18, and long gone when the guitar finally collapsed. So, it's a fairly controversial thing, with many experienced luthiers warning against it (in general and not directed specifically at Bryan, by the way). But, as I said, Bryan Kimsey is very, very experienced at it and knows what the limits are. HE's also one of the ebst repair guys in the country.

If it were me though, if changing strings, set up, saddle, and so on didn't work and it still sounded like it had socks in it, I think I'd just sell it and get something else.

Archived