Gibson Brands Forums

I love EMPEROR

Shnate McDuanus

Black metal quickly took a turn to "progressive" stylization as early as the early 1990s. Burzum released a few songs that bordered on electronic ambient before he went to prison, and then a bunch of full-on electronic albums while he was in prison. They didn't let him have a guitar, so he made do with what he had. There are a lot of examples of black metal bands with keyboards, and in fact Emperor was one of the founders of black metal in general, and symphonic black metal specifically. The more raw black metal style of pretty much just guitar, drums and shrieking is best exemplified by bands like Immortal, Gorgoroth Mayhem and Darkthrone (who all took a lot of influence from hardcore punk,) where the more progressive symphonic black metal bands like Emperor, Burzum, Ulver, Taake, Thorns and Cradle of Filth, took that raw sound and augmented it with keyboards and ambience. Then there are black metal acts like Satyricon and Enslaved, who go in a direction which is very influenced by 70s progressive and hard rock, creating an interesting fusion of symphonic elements, lo-fi crust punk elements, extreme metal elements and classic rock elements.

We now have bands like Borknagar and Nachtmystium, though, who take that progressive edge to the next level entirely:

In short, though, yes, they absolutely did have keyboards "back in the day."

My "back in the day" is the 80's not the 90's, I just never knew about the keyboards.

This is how Old School I am about Metal, this an early pressing mind you on black vinyl.

1a1ae7ba.jpg

Off topic but..In general Progressive rock or metal is something I have never been able to get into, I just can find the groove in it...and I have tried, actually a friend let me borrow the new Dream Theater album, the Arch/Matheos album and the new Anthrax recently and while I liked the Anthrax album right away I still can't get into the other two.

My "back in the day" is the 80's not the 90's, I just never knew about the keyboards.

This is how Old School I am about Metal, this an early pressing mind you on black vinyl.

1a1ae7ba.jpg

Off topic but..In general Progressive rock or metal is something I have never been able to get into, I just can find the groove in it...and I have tried, actually a friend let me borrow the new Dream Theater album, the Arch/Matheos album and the new Anthrax recently and while I liked the Anthrax album right away I still can't get into the other two.

So your back in the day was 80s, the hair metal era, and you didn't know about keyboards?

So your back in the day was 80s, the hair metal era, and you didn't know about keyboards?

There were keyboards in the 60's and 70's too like it has been pointed out and there are keyboards today.

We are talking Death Metal, it is simple to understand if you actually read the thread.

1a1ae7ba.jpg

Dude, do you see my avatar? I wish I could be as old-school metal as you. [thumbup] Much love for Kreator--still one of my favorite bands.

But, first you say black metal, and then "old school metal" in general. I thought you were talking about black metal, which really came out into its own style in the early 1990s. Yes, there was "proto-"black metal in the 1980s, like Bathory, Venom, Hellhammer and early Kreator and Slayer, and none of them used keyboards, but I would say that black metal developed into a style that was sufficiently separate from other subgenres (Venom, Hellhammer, Kreator and Slayer all fit well into speed/thrash metal, and early Bathory may as well be hardcore punk) in the 1990s, and by that time many of the bands had started to use keyboards. I'm not saying you're wrong in any way, just clearing up a bit of my confusion regarding whether you were referring to metal in general, or black metal specifically. Just me nitpicking like a metal elitist.

On a different note: how does the old Kreator vinyl sound? I'd bet it's awesome.

Hair metal wasn't metal. The 80s was speed and thrash, my man, and speed and thrash didn't use keyboards. GET ON OUR LEVEL.

Here's the 80s, Nate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tuicJxGu9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14btYfUBpoI

I'll post more. The 80s has a lot of ground to cover.

Dude, do you see my avatar? I wish I could be as old-school metal as you. [thumbup] Much love for Kreator--still one of my favorite bands.

But, first you say black metal, and then "old school metal" in general. I thought you were talking about black metal, which really came out into its own style in the early 1990s. Yes, there was "proto-"black metal in the 1980s, like Bathory, Venom, Hellhammer and early Kreator and Slayer, and none of them used keyboards, but I would say that black metal developed into a style that was sufficiently separate from other subgenres (Venom, Hellhammer, Kreator and Slayer all fit well into speed/thrash metal, and early Bathory may as well be hardcore punk) in the 1990s, and by that time many of the bands had started to use keyboards. I'm not saying you're wrong in any way, just clearing up a bit of my confusion regarding whether you were referring to metal in general, or black metal specifically. Just me nitpicking like a metal elitist.

On a different note: how does the old Kreator vinyl sound? I'd bet it's awesome.

When I say old school metal I simply mean the 80's when styles were being defined, there was black metal in the 80's but I did not realize they had sort of evolved and incorporated other elements.

The vinyl sounds great, just like it did back then. When I play those records it really takes me back. I have some Bathory, Venom, Celtic Frost, HellHammer, Slayer, Exodus and of course Metallica. All good stuff.

Hair metal wasn't metal. The 80s was speed and thrash, my man, and speed and thrash didn't use keyboards. GET ON OUR LEVEL.

Exactly,

I had a guy asked me if it was awesome to be there in the 80's, (I was thinking NWOBHM, Thrash, Speed, etc.) and then he asked me a about Huey Lewis and the News.

Equating the 80's to Hair Metal is like equating the 70's to Disco or the 60's to the Monkees.

Archived