Gibson Brands Forums

Help me chose/buy a Gibson Semi-hollow, please!

rocknpop

Hi guys, I am new posting in the forum, so please be gentle.

A little about me: I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro and a PRS CE22. Love the guitars, but I am missing a semi-hollow. I played a 335 at GC and loved the sound. In particular, I really liked the 57 Classics, the glassy, smooth, round, full sound that the guitar had was amazing.

Current situation: I cannot afford a 335 and have been looking at other guitars like the Epiphone sheraton, the 137, the 339, and I just discovered the 333!

Question: Is the 333 going to satisfy my craving for a semi hollow that sounds like the 335? It seems, from reading posts, that the 333 is what today is the satin 335. I understand the other small differences (back plate, inlays, binding, pups), but I am looking at TONE - I will change the pups to 57 Classics.

Also, many of the semi hollow guitars that I see online have Seymour Duncan pups installed. I have never played them before and would be happy to hear opinions.

I sold my Les Pauls and Fenders for Semi-Hollowbody's. I began with an ES-339 which I got for $1400 used (I know, a bit high but I was impulsive and wanted it). I couldn't be happier with the ES-339. It meets all of the tone requirements of my Les Pauls and in the bridge position, I can get a lot of quack and twang that I got from my Fenders. However, I did long for the woodsy, open, growl of an ES-335. I came across an ES-333 with a professional headstock repair for $700 with a Gibson Hard Shell Case. I immediately pulled the trigger and much to my surprise, it is an ES-335 without the appointments of the headstock inlay, pick guard and pick up covers. The original pickups (490T etc.) sound pretty good but, if you want it to really be an ES-335 you have to put in 57's or in my case, Duncan 59's. I also bought a Tokia ES-50 Semi Hollow body which is an inexpensive replica of an ES-335. It is very bright and not at all woodsy but, it is nice for begetting around to rehearsals etc. While my ES-339 is my favorite guitar for recording, my ES-333 is my go-to guitar.

There is one thing I will say and it is not about tone, I found that the fret edge binding of the ES-333 over the no binding of the ES-335 Satin to be a deal breaker! I really don't feel like I can go back to playing a guitar without fret board binding, in particular the nubs. I have already spoken with my Luthiere and I know that when I finally have to get the frets replaced it will cost an arm and a leg to have the fretboard binding done with nubs but, it's an aesthetic I can no longer do without.

On edit, I realized that I didn't answer the question. Yes, the ES-333 will definitely satisfy your "ES-335" needs and more...

Yes, the ES-339 can definitely get Jazzy sounds. There are a bunch of videos on You Tube where you can hear some really diverse sounds and textures from ES-339's. Don't rule out the ES-333 either for nice cleaner Jazz tones.

I think $1000 for an ES-333 in good condition is a decent price. Especially if it has a case. I do see their value escalating in the next couple of years as they are no longer made. I don't think you can get a used ES-335 for much less than $2000 these days so to get an ES-333 for half the price is a bargain for me. If I had the money I would be looking for a second one...

I believe that you should not try to find another guitar to compared to the 335 and buy since you already know what type of tone you are looking for. Most guitar players like yourself spend years trying to figure out the tone they are looking for and try to figure out the guitar that sounds like it. You already figured out both. The easy part is saving the money. I know money is tight right now, but it won't be forever. And using the money you have to buy something that doesn't quite get you there is a big mistake that you will regret.

Save your money and get the guitar that does it for you.

BTW, you are not the first person that fell in love with the 335, and you won't be the last.

Jazz,

[thumbup]

This past year I too was looking at 335's and tried a 339. The 339 was more comfortable to me. The tone, playability, fit and finish all top notch so that's what I bought. Absolutely no regrets. Love the 57 Classics.

I usually play Les Pauls so maybe thats why I love the 339. To me it plays like a lester and sounds like a 335.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Dave

This past year I too was looking at 335's and tried a 339. The 339 was more comfortable to me. The tone, playability, fit and finish all top notch so that's what I bought. Absolutely no regrets. Love the 57 Classics.

I usually play Les Pauls so maybe thats why I love the 339. To me it plays like a lester and sounds like a 335.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Dave

+1 Me too. To me though, it's not exactly an LP and not exactly a 335, it is its own animal but it has the sweetness of both with some extra tones of its own in a small, very comfortable to play on the couch working out the kinks in a song or just playing for fun, and I am certain great to gig with though I am not doing that currently. I actually play mine a lot acoustically late at night when I can't sleep.

I also want a 137 but its all been a matter of particular priority at a given point in time. $1999 MF/GC 339s can be had for $1500 at the right dealer.

Have fun in the quest!

Archived