Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups on '97 LP Standard

JWR

Hello,

I just picked up a nice used '97 LP Standard. Does anyone know what pickups it likely has (assuming they weren't changed out over the years)? I'm not sure if all the Standards came with the same PU's or not. It's a great guitar, played a lot, but well cared for.

Thanks,

JR

Hi there.

They should be, as far as I can tell, '57 Classics. The Burstbuckers weren't used until 2002 according to the "Les Paul Forum" article I've just re-read. Then again, that might only apply to the re-issues......

Do us all a favour and post a snap!!!!

JWR, from what I have read and from the friends of mine who have pre-2002 Les Paul Standards, those pickups in your '97 should be Burstbucker 1 & 2. The Standards got the Burstbucker Pros in 2002. Yeah! Show us some pics of the '97. Hellion, I think the LP Standard Plus has the 490/498 combo, but the '97 Les Paul in the link you have on your post has fret markers like a Les Paul Custom, and some have the 490/498 pickup combo.

Three different people...three different answers.

I'm probably mistaken, too...but I thought those Standards had 490/498.

JWR' date=' from what I have read and from the friends of mine who have pre-2002 Les Paul Standards, those pickups in your '97 should be Burstbucker 1 & 2. The Standards got the Burstbucker Pros in 2002.[/quote']

Weren't the BB 1 & 2 specifically made for the historics?

Another thing is Standard and Standard Plus is the same guitar. The only difference is a nicer maple top.

Why would Gibson put one set of pickups in the Standard and another set of pickups in the Standard Plus?

Maybe I'm wrong on this one, too...but I thought historics then had '57 Classics and Standards had 490/498?

Then...meaning around the turn of the century.

Hellion, I think the LP Standard Plus has the 490/498 combo, but the '97 Les Paul in the link you have on your post has fret markers like a Les Paul Custom, and some have the 490/498 pickup combo.

The one in his link is a Custom. Block inlays + binding around the back = Custom. It's no Standard.

...and since when have Standards come with 3 pickups?

R9,

Here's a link to the Les Paul Standard Plus that I had seen with 490/498 pups, but I know the 2008 LPSP guitars have Burstbuckers. I haven't found the info I had read a while back on late '90s LP Standards with Burstbucker 1 & 2 pups, but I will post it when I find. Spoke to my friend Bill today and he confirmed that his '94 LP Standard has Burstbucker 1 & 2 as original pickups. Can't get ahold of my other buddy to ask what year LP Standard he has and which pups, but I know it's late '90's also. I knew the picture from the link on Hellion's post was a custom. That was the point I was trying to make.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPSTDP

I've since learned a little more about the Burstbucker pickups from this page at Gibson.com.http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/Burstbucker%5Ftrade%3B/

So, it looks like you guys are right about the 490R/498T pickups being in those pre-'02 Standards. Good job!

Here a link to the chart which caused me some confusion. See what you guys can figure out of this. http://www.gibson.com/Files/_gear/datasheets/Guitar_Component_Guide.pdf

Archived