Gibson Brands Forums

1962 spec Gibson J160E vs 1960s spec J160E?

byrds1965

Enjoyed the photos of Harrison's J160E on another thread.

I am wondering if anyone knows or has ordered one if there is a 1962 model J160E as Fullers is getting, which is the Lennon minus the signature and is there a generic 1960s J160E?

I am asking because I had my local Gibson dealer ask if they could get the same thing as Fullers. The answer was yes placed the order back in February and the guitar showed up in September. When I called Fullers they had a wait until August so I figured I would ask my local dealer if they could get the same thing and give them the business.

It had a Custom Shop label on the back of the headstock, a 1960s J160E label in the sound hole.

The problems were it had a one hole truss rod cover like an Epiphone, did not have the jumbo frets, both the tone and volume knobs were not tightned and the thing buzzed from the 2nd fret on down.

It was sent back to Gibson. I asked my dealer to talk to the rep and they said the guitar was correct spec wise.

I owned a Lennon Peace, and a 2004 1960s J160E reissue which was idendtical to the Lennon in burst and minus the signature. That is the guitar I ordered this one to replace. This thing is a plywood ladder braced J160E of some sort but not a 1962 J160E or a Lennon minus the signature.

I have called Fullers and looked at photos on line of the Fullers guitar it is the same as my 2004 and not at all what I received.

My long question is does anyone know if there is a 1962 J160E and a generic 1960s J160E if so the wrong guitar was ordered by the Gibson rep when the order was placed?

Very depressing experience either way.

Thanks for anyone who has any info.

As the '62 spec J-160Es are no longer in regular production (except maybe for the Peace model, not sure), you'd have been better off dealing with Fullers - they are one of the very few dealers that can get just about anything from Gibson.

As of a few weeks ago, I know Fullers even had a few of the particular model you want there in stock.

Can one of you guys who owns the Fullers model please let me know what the sound hole label says? Or post a photo?

I need to know if the Fullers one says 1962 J160E.

Thanks

byrds , I have worked with Fuller's 4 times on custom shop models and each time they have done everything the possibly could do give me what I wanted.

So just contact Jeremy at Fuller's tell him what you have in mind and he can get it done for you :) . I promise you won't be dissapointed :D .

byrds , I have worked with Fuller's 4 times on custom shop models and each time they have done everything the possibly could do give me what I wanted.

So just contact Jeremy at Fuller's tell him what you have in mind and he can get it done for you :) . I promise you won't be dissapointed :D .

I talked to Fullers back in February when I ordered mine.

I just hate to bother them to have them read me what the soundhole label says. I was hoping someone on the forum could tell me or post a photo so I can argue with Gibson that this is not the guitar I ordered. Right now I have no money to buy more Gibsons until I either get this one sorted out or rid of it so I can get the right one.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

The label on the sound hole says the following on my Fuller's J.

Style: J-160E

Gibson: Fuller's Vintage (nothing else in this line like 1962)

S/N: xxxxxxxx

Orange round label. I was to have waited 5-8 weeks I believe for mine and Jeremy called me in about a week and one had come in for stock early and I got it right away. Love it. Mine has a fair amount of grain lines in the soundboard. A little more now that the nitro was airing out. Looks okay. Plays great, sounds fantastic (if you like the sound & the Beatles that is).

Aster.

I talked to Fullers back in February when I ordered mine.

I just hate to bother them to have them read me what the soundhole label says. I was hoping someone on the forum could tell me or post a photo so I can argue with Gibson that this is not the guitar I ordered. Right now I have no money to buy more Gibsons until I either get this one sorted out or rid of it so I can get the right one.

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

I bother them all the time . sometimes just to get stupid questions answered lol

I ask for pricing on guitars I am not gonna buy right away and stuff like that .

and they have always responded :) . so just drop Jeremy a line or two and I'm sure he won't mind replying

I have ordered the following : 1960's style hummingbird , Ron Wood special J 200 .and I in the works is a Master Museum guitar (the ones that Ren works on) . and I've never been let down . They have the best service ever !!!

Juan Vejar

Edit : there is one on Ebay if you are interested (it's the fuller's version) and it's less than 2k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-GIBSON-J160E-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-FULLERS-VINTAGE-/360374567906?_trksid=m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D28%26pmod%3D120726968197%26ps%3D50

Hi Dave,

The label on the sound hole says the following on my Fuller's J.

Style: J-160E

Gibson: Fuller's Vintage (nothing else in this line like 1962)

S/N: xxxxxxxx

Orange round label. I was to have waited 5-8 weeks I believe for mine and Jeremy called me in about a week and one had come in for stock early and I got it right away. Love it. Mine has a fair amount of grain lines in the soundboard. A little more now that the nitro was airing out. Looks okay. Plays great, sounds fantastic (if you like the sound & the Beatles that is).

Aster.

Aster thanks for the soundhole info.

Yeah these guitars sound great. I have owned the 2 I mentioned in the past and had to sell them due to layoff. Now employed am replacing the collection slowly.

This is the only guitar that gets the Beatles tone but not just that in any rock mix it just plain records well. No eq, no compression just sits right in the mix and pops out as a good strong rhythm guitar. Not a guitar you want to sit on the couch and play and not for acoustic ballads but as a recording guitar they are perfect.

Thanks again.

Dave

Dave,

Get that one fixed the way you need to and then HIDE it. Next time, heaven forbid, the dang WOLF comes to the door, you won't lose it. [biggrin]

Hope you get things worked out. What was it that was wrong anyway, or did I miss something with my speed reading the other day?

Aster

Dave,

Get that one fixed the way you need to and then HIDE it. Next time, heaven forbid, the dang WOLF comes to the door, you won't lose it. [biggrin]

Hope you get things worked out. What was it that was wrong anyway, or did I miss something with my speed reading the other day?

Aster

It is in the long post above, but I ordered what Fullers is getting, which is the Lennon minus the signature or 70th minus the 12th fret inlay so Fullers is selling a 1962 or 1964 or what ever you want to call it. Gibson built me some generic looking thing they claim is spec correct 1960 something but what ever that is I don't know it came in as:

1 hole truss rod cover like an Epiphone flat on the bottom, small frets, both the volume and the tone knobs were loose from the factory like falling in the guitar loose I had to pry them off and tighten both, the neck bingding is wrong as the guitar does not have the 1960s jumbo frets so the fret ends are not white and it buzzed from the 2nd fret down.

The only way no buzz if if you played it open with no fingers on the strings as soon as you make any even open position chord buzz, the fret job was bad.

Trying to get my dealer to refuse the guitar.

Thanks again for all your guys help.

I edited my earlier post the truss rod route was correct,it just has an Epiphone style truss rod cover on it. I looked at it at my dealer today where is has been or back at Gibson for a over a month now. I only had the guitar in my posession 4 days before getting a chance to take it back for the buzzing and point out all the other issues.

My dealer agreed the frets and binding are wrong, and if I want the 2 hole truss rod cover I have to get one sent and drill 2 holes.

I already had to fix the volume and tone pots myself, so I am done and told him to tell Gibson I refuse the thing send it back. They can't even tell me or my dealer what the fix for the buzz, bad frets neck etc, was.

All I want is Gibson to send me the right guitar.

Thanks again for all your guys help.

I edited my earlier post the truss rod route was correct,it just has an Epiphone style truss rod cover on it. I looked at it at my dealer today where is has been or back at Gibson for a over a month now. I only had the guitar in my posession 4 days before getting a chance to take it back for the buzzing and point out all the other issues.

My dealer agreed the frets and binding are wrong, and if I want the 2 hole truss rod cover I have to get one sent and drill 2 holes.

I already had to fix the volume and tone pots myself, so I am done and told him to tell Gibson I refuse the thing send it back. They can't even tell me or my dealer what the fix for the buzz, bad frets neck etc, was.

All I want is Gibson to send me the right guitar.

contact Jeremy Morton here on the boards ... he has helped others with their problems :D

Archived