Gibson Brands Forums

Regarding bridge pickup

Rinooo

Hi there,

I have just bought the epiphone les paul standard and have encountered something that might be a problem. When I toggle between the neck and bridge pickups, the bridge pick up is very notably quieter than the neck pickup? Is this normal? Especially when the 'gain' on my amp is turned off, when I use the neck pickup, it's already pretty loud and clear but when I toggle it back to the bridge pickup, there is no sound. Kind of like a kill switch? Could I have damaged it when I was peeling off the protective film on the pickups? Cause when I bought it they had these thin clear films protecting the pickups from scratches I'm assuming... but i was quite gentle.

I didn't recall this problem at the store when I was playing around with it... but the sales changed all the strings for me before he put it in the bag, could that is caused a problem?

Please tell me this is normal or should I bring it back to get it checked?

Thanks!

So, when you switch to the bridge pickup it is quieter, or is it completely silent?

If it is completely silent it could be an issue with the switch, or a bad solder joint or some other electrical issue...

If it is just quieter, you could try adjusting the pickup height.

Others will chime in here that know more than I do though...

Not to sound condescending in any way....is the bridge pup volume knob turned up? Sometimes, it can just be a very minor issue and cost-free fix :) Could be one of several possibilities, none of them really a big deal, as, in my experience, everything else can/will go bad before the pups. If you bought it new, then, yes - take it back to where you bought it, if possible...and, no, peeling off the protective plastic and string change would not have caused this, I can't imagine.

Also, you first mention quieter, then say no sound. If it's quieter, that was how my plus-top was when I got it... I raised the bridge pup height just a bit and lowered the neck height a lil more, balancing the volume between the 2. if it has no sound on the bridge position, then it could be the switch, could be a wire or solder joint, could be the bridge pot, I suppose.... highly unlikely it'd be the pup on a new guitar. Take it back to where you bought it and get it straightened out, whatever it is....but check the volume knob first, make sure it's maxed (or that both volume knobs are at approx the same level) ;)

One more quick question.... is there any sound in the middle switch position???

Archived