Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone MildKat

jags

MildKat1s.jpg

MildKat2s.jpg

Yes that's not a typo. I call it my MildKat. It's a toned down Epiphone WildKat. Removed the Bigsby and installed an Epiphone style tailpiece. New abalone inlaid knobs. New roller bridge that allows me to intonate correctly. Rotosound Top Tape flatwound 12's. A vintage .022 Black Beauty capacitor. And a nice matching color strap.

This girl sure sounds sweet. Nice and warm and buttery. The interaction between the p-90's the flats and the vintage cap is amazing. I can turn the tone all the way down and it just gets warmer and warmer but the strings still chime through. Plus no "squawky" tone that you sometimes get with some guitar tone circuits. Furthermore the control tonallity that you get with the 3 volumes is quite amazing also. With the volumes at about 3/4 it is a lot warmer and mellower compaired to the sound with everything turned up. It's really nice with the neck pickup at 3/4 and then bring in the bridge pickup to just add to the tone clarity a bit. Master at 3/4 and role the tone control down to just a smidge from the end and what a glorious sound!!

This is definately a keeper!! [biggrin]

Archived