Gibson Brands Forums

Value for a 1935/36 Gibson L 5

fab432

Hello,

I recently came across a 1935/36 Gibson L 5 and I was wondering what is the current market value for this guitar. The guitar has a 17" body, has the X bracing, has unbound "f" holes, fret board is tapered at the end. Block inlays starting at the 1st fret.

Serial number started with 93xxx

The guitar is in amazing condition - action low, no cracks or chips, slight marks on the top finish that look like players marks, back is nice an clean. Sound is out of this world with incredible sustain.

Any help would be appreciated.

I saw a 1925 L-5 with unbound f-holes - but it was about $30k so I picked myself up of the floor and walked away, but I would have loved to have taken it home with me - sexier shape than most women.....

“No reason to get excited,”

The thief he kindly spoke.

“There are many here among us

Who feel that life is but a joke.

If you're interested in archtops, I'd send you to Joe. Joe Vinikow at archtop.com. I've bent his ear a number of times, and he set me onto my 1934 L7 that is my one 'untouchable' guitar.

Joe's a great guy- he'll give you an idea of what is a fair price for your instrument.

By the way, everything he has listed is set up to PLAY. When you get one of his guitars, it's ready to go. (I'm a fan- can you tell?) A real 'player's' shop. I'm tempted to swing by every time I check out the site and see what's in the store.

Here's the pics of his L5. It sure looks like an early advanced model to me, just like he said, but I never did find out when they went to bound f-holes.

ta1z0w.jpg

k1rrqr.jpg

24fg0mu.jpg

2d9oitg.jpg

I have no guidance as to value because something like this is so far out of my league. Someone like Gruhn will appraise it for $50 (I think) and I have found his values are often inflated compared to what I've seen on the street. He will undoubtedly make an offer on it, and that offer will likely be about 2/3 of whatever he valued it at. He doesn't always make an offer but if it sparks him he will seize the opportunity.

Archived