Gibson Brands Forums

Garage/Loft Update

G McBride

I got to tell you it is really hard for a production manager like myself to watch the construction progress on this Garage project. It is like instead of looking for a job, the guy was looking for a career.

The good thing about the project is that when it is done, I will have a full upstairs floor space of 26 feet by 48 feet to turn into a great place for me and my buddies to get together and jam. Even thinking of putting in some kind of small recording studio to play around with and learn.

Before anyone thinks that I am being too critical of my builder allow me to tell you what I am doing with the criticism. I am taking all of my complaints about how this project is going and I am applying that to my own business to think about how my customers may perceive the way I handle things. I am finding I am not without fault and will use this to improve my customer service.

Looking for ideas and suggestions now on recording equipment that you would suggest I look at. Last time I did any recording was with a real to real or a 4 channel cassette unit. Bring me out of the dark ages. I have Mac laptop and I know many use them in recording or editing their work.

Thanks

Gill

You want a small recording studio, and you use Apple Computers........You might want to go with Pro-Tools, the latest full version.....

There's a either love or hate Pro-Tools thing.....I don't use it.....To use real recording software, skip the "light" versions and take the

full plunge.....Street Prices for a main recording package all run about the same; 300 to 500 ish....You'll need an interface, and you

do NOT want to scrimp there....You'll need a nice pair of recording monitors, a couple of small diaphram condenser mikes and a

couple of large diaphram condenser mikes, also an area to not scrimp on, and some regular dynamic mikes, ie, a sure 57, 58, etc,

mike stands, etc etc etc.....A dedicated recording computer is best, one that doesn't run other programs...Regardless of having

a drummer or not, you'll want Superior Drummer 2.0, and other software as wanted or needed....It can be a sinkhole how much

you want to spend......I can hook you up with the right folks to talk to choose the right gear...........

^^^ Yeah, what Damian says.^^^

I have Pro Tools on my MacBook Pro, and use that as my main recording platform. There's a lot of other equipment involved, but it all fits in the 18' x 24' second floor of my garage. It's not a professional studio, but it definitely lets me get done what I need to get done. If you've never used a program like Pro Tools before, the learning curve can be fairly steep, but well worth the effort. And after you get good at it, you will find that it can help you do anything you want to. BTW, I started out with tape machines, and still use them in the big scheme. I use a multi-track machine in some applications when working on specific projects. It is possible to incorporate the warmth of a good tape machine into the digital domain.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am so out of touch with recording because I have not done anything like this for probably 30 years now. Finally at a point in my life where I can do some things that I have always wanted to experiment with.

All help and advice is appreciated. I'll probably talk to my sales guy at SW and get some hints also. Those guys are only about an hour away from me.

Gill

I am not sure how big you want to go with your recording gear but a good 4-channel USB interface with plenty of features may be the way to go.

I saw this AKAI EIE on the SW catalog, if I was on the market for a USB interface I would go this route.

Most inputs/controls are in the front, phantom power, selectable inputs, selectable UV meters, etc. this thing is packed with features.

akai-pro-eie-pro.jpg

Archived