Gibson Brands Forums

differences between sg standards with one or two piece bodies

glider

Hey I just picked up a used 2009 Gibson SG standard---love it big time- it appears to have a one piece body... i thought most standards were two piece bodies, is there any tonal differences noted between sgs with one or two piece bodies? thanks

Hey I just picked up a used 2009 Gibson SG standard---love it big time- it appears to have a one piece body... i thought most standards were two piece bodies, is there any tonal differences noted between sgs with one or two piece bodies? thanks

It's tough to say because they all sound a bit different. The best ones I've played have been 2 piece, but probably just because there are so many more of them. I bought the one pictured below because it was one of the nicest sounding and playing standards I had seen. I eventually traded it because the completely different coloured slabs of hog in the body always bugged me. The upper bout was way darker in person. Someday I'll grab another one though.

AP3268294.jpg

No tonal difference.

Being a one or two piece body wouldn't cause me to prioritize a purchase. However, if the two piece wasn't a center joint, I would probably avoid it. In other words, my personal preference (based on looks, not tone) for a two piece body would be a center joint and I would avoid two piece bodies that were not joined on center. I would also avoid bodies made of more than two pieces - purely based on my perception of the looks of multipiece bodies.

Guest BentonC

Everyone is on point- no tonal differences. The glue bond is so strong at the seam, that the vibration transfers through both pieces of wood as though it were virtually one piece. Just a cosmetic difference when the seam is visible. I don't mind the 2-piece, but if you do, you may have to do some window shopping- no 2 are the same.

[thumbup]

Archived