Gibson Brands Forums

S.G. Wiring Questions

damian

I'm putting in classic 57s into an SG.....I have the pickups in the pickguard.....Now, this is one of those new fangled PCB deals....

I THINK I can figure it out......However, the length the of new pickup cables are 18"....How much should I cut the cable ?? Will there be

signal loss if I leave it too long ??? Is it O.K. if one PU's wire touches the underside of the other PU ?? Any thoughts on these new

fangled PCB boards ??? Any other tips ??? And, I know there's a ground wire that goes into the wood and (I think) attaches to

a post ??? Now, I can't see which one it goes to....In a month I'll be Bigsifying the guitar, so, I need to know it the ground goes

to a tail piece insert, or one of the bridge inserts....Any help is, well, helpful....Thank you.......Damian....

the length the of new pickup cables are 18"....How much should I cut the cable ?? Will there be signal loss if I leave it too long ???

Not anything that you will hear. Cut it to the length you like.

Is it O.K. if one PU's wire touches the underside of the other PU ??

Unless you plan to add phase switches there is no problem with letting the braided shielding of one pickup touch the other.

Any thoughts on these new fangled PCB boards ???

I think they're great. It's about time guitar wiring started catching up with the times. My SG has one and I'm very happy with it.

I know there's a ground wire that goes into the wood and (I think) attaches to a post ??? Now, I can't see which one it goes to....In a month I'll be Bigsifying the guitar, so, I need to know it the ground goes to a tail piece insert, or one of the bridge inserts

The ground wire goes to the stop bar post closest to the controls.

Thank you Searcy and BadBluesPlayer......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ...

One last question......When I put the Bigsby on, since the ground wire will be on a post no longer used, but a plugged one,

will this be O.K. ??? Or, does the ground somehow need to be on a post that has string contact ??? Perhaps I don't

understand the reason fo the ground, or rather, what it's for.....Or better said, if it will be O.K. as is when I Bigsby the

S.G............Once again, thank you..........

Which Bigsby do you plan to use?

A gold B-5.......The SG is a dark satin brown...The gold looks good on it....All the hardware is gold....I managed to fit a gold Wilkinson roller bridge

on it......The B-50s are nice as well, but the cost savings isn't enough to make me not buy American made.......

Thank you Searcy and BadBluesPlayer......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ...

One last question......When I put the Bigsby on, since the ground wire will be on a post no longer used, but a plugged one,

will this be O.K. ??? Or, does the ground somehow need to be on a post that has string contact ??? Perhaps I don't

understand the reason fo the ground, or rather, what it's for.....Or better said, if it will be O.K. as is when I Bigsby the

S.G............Once again, thank you..........

bump

Help a noooooooooooob !!!!!!! two wire pick up....Going into a thingee that then goes into the PBC board......

One wire from the pickup into one hole....The wrapping braid stuff gets soldered onto a small wire, then this goes into

the other hole......????????????? And I still have that grounding question......Thanks all........

Looks to me like this gizmo will make the connection you need for grounding the bridge.

For the pickup wiring you should just cut the plug off the old pickup and solder it onto the leads for the new pickup. You're installing a 57 in the bridge right?

Interesting vid Searcy......Thanks......I'm putting in a 57 in the neck and a 57+ in the bridge, and a Bigsby for the balance, tone, sustain, looks,

and the nice wavy stuff they do.......I ended up doing all kinds of online research...Found a thread here called HOW TO REPLACE PUPS WITH PCB?

from sept 2010....However the thread ended early.....I'll have to order the pcb board inserts, little crimp things, and the little shrink wrap doohickies

from Mouser Electronics....I'm still confused about proper grounding...I'll study more...I'm leaving the tail posts in, as EVOL did....Guess I'll PM him,

he'll know the answer to my grounding question.....I don't want to use a VIBROMATE as it removes full contact from the Bigsby to the wood......

I want a solid screwed in connection....Lots of solid contact for uber tone and sustain......I'll get it figured out...........Thanks all.................

You can install the pcb plugs on your 57s and plug them into the pc board or you can just clip the plugs off of your old pickups, leave about 2 inches of wire at the plug end, and then solder the original plugs to the new pickups. That's what I've done on a few of these.

The B5 Bigsby will use the stud mounts that the original stop bar used so there is no extra grounding that needs to be done.

[confused] No it won't, unless you are talking about using the Vibromate which would be unfortunate.

Sorry, not a fan of the Vibramate.

I'll be skipping the vibromate......ZZguitarworks has a system as well......Their systems look nice for Teles......

I "heard", but don't really believe, that grounding strings "isn't neccissary anymore."....

The option presented of drilling and re-grounding will work ( for me ).......

Archived