Gibson Brands Forums

The Results Are In!

RobinTheHood

I posted pics in my review a few threads down, but I wanted to call this to the attention of anyone that may have not realized that I posted the results this morning.

I pulled the neck to take a look at the body wood like I said I was goin to do. Well, it looks like mahogany to me. Feels like it too. Its dark, hard and stringy...just like mahogany. Its definitely not a soft wood, and if basswood is similar to alder in hardness and texture, this aint it.

I'm also wondering if Midiman Jim noticed a wieght difference between the different finishes of these guitars when they first got them in. I didnt see anything mentioned in his thread about them from a couple months ago. I'm wondering if all of the TV Yellow Juniors are mahogany.

So if any of you guys are thinking about getting one of these, consider getting a TV Yellow. Not all of the stores have them, but I think you can still order them.

SGJR1.jpg

SGJR2.jpg

And he has done more than take the neck off, he put the chisel to it already, too. Surely he can say what wood his might be.

He said that he cut out the cavity with an exacto knife. I would imagine that mahogany would be a splintery mess if you did that.

The body material on mine is Basswood or Alder, solid wood, at first I thought it might be pine, but no smell to it like pine has, the wood is very light colored, almost white, and EXTREMELY lightweight...I love this 'lil guitar.

Thanks Mat! Nothing against basswood or alder. Especially alder. My Strats are alder and they sound great. It just nice to find this little Epiphone mahogany easter egg.

I knew something was up when it weighed about the same as the G-310. The 310 has two pickups, one being a heavy bar-pole pickup, a huge schaller fine-tune tailpiece, two extra pots and die-cast tuners...not to mention more body mass due to less beveling. An investigation was definitely in order here.

I might also recommend swapping the tuners, I don't know about yours, but the tuners on mine rather sucked. I put some Epi-Klusens from a Les Paul on mine, and the problem went away, and it looks WORLDS better than tose Gotoh wannabes. And the P90 on it sounds a ton better than the humbucker did, and there wasn't really anything wrong with the 'bucker, I just felt it's a Junior, and should be appointed accordingly.And if you go the Leo Quann route with it, DON'T GET A NEW ONE!!!! Try to find one of the older '80's vintage ones from Steinberger, they're better made, lower profile...the Asian ones out now ain't as good.

This git is actually for my daughter, so I wont be upgrading anything but the tuners right now. And yeah, they kind of suck. They came from the factory with slack in them already, so I know they wont last long. I have a set of Gibson Deluxe green-keys I'm thinking about putting on it. Either that or a set of generic die-casts I have laying around.

Any upgrading beyond that will come over time as she grows in to the guitar.

Archived