Gibson Brands Forums

Info on SG

ant7629

Hi all

Could you provide info on my SG? Guitar dater says it was made in 1989 in Nashville, but I was under the impression is was older than than that.

What interests me about about are the little differences on it. Like the smaller scratch plate (like 61), the jack socket is on the side, not on the top, the tuning keys are kluson shape but metal, the toggle switch is in a different position and the colour looks a lot darker than the normal cherry finishes, maybe wine red?

Any help, info or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Photo-0078_e1.jpg

I believe the guitar dater. If it were a '61, the neck joint would be right around the 22nd fret so it can't be that early. The side mounted Jack was something that came about in the 80s along with the relocated switch. It seems like you already knew that. I think it is a cool layout overall. It looks like they were trying to copy the Les Paul pot positioning. I wish I could hear it.

Thanks! I have just been looking at the "everything SG" catalog, I still can't find it! I have got pretty close, its looks a lot like the 1983 model, but mine has trapeze inlays, not the block one shown in the catalog. Also, they brought another one out in 1986, which is totally different. If mine was made in 89, wouldn't the later models have replaced the 83 version? Confused!

There have been numerous variations on the SG theme, plenty of oddities out there that never sold well.

If the serial number is legit, there ya go...

Call Gibson Customer Service at 800 444 2766, open 24/7.

They can often give you detailed info on your guitar, even a couple decades down the road.

Archived