Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Serial Number 024966

Californiaman

That number comes up '67 or '73. Since the original style LP was not re-itroduced until '68 that kicks out '67.

My educated guess would be 1973, which would also include the headstock volute and "Made In USA" stamp. A Goldtop of that era would most likely be a "Deluxe" (mini-hum's), but I have a book that also lists a "54 Reissue" for that year (P-90's?). It would also not have been unlikely for Gibson to have thrown full size humbuckers in a Deluxe at the factory, or for a mod to have been done aftermarket.

Anyway, the number comes up 1973.

I wish I could get some pictures of it. Unfortunately the kdis lost the camera this summer.

One thing that strikes me a strange about this guitar is that the inlays are all discolored to an almost amber color.

I will say the the serial number was engraved into the headstock too.

It was also a two piece body. That was certainly evident when I flipped it over to look at the back.

I wish I could get some pictures of it. Unfortunately the kdis lost the camera this summer.

One thing that strikes me a strange about this guitar is that the inlays are all discolored to an almost amber color.

I will say the the serial number was engraved into the headstock too.

It was also a two piece body. That was certainly evident when I flipped it over to look at the back.

I'm looking at my 72-74 SG at the moment and the serial# appears to be pressed in, but it has a black ink writing as well, which is consistent with that era

Archived