Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo "Pro"

johnnybregar

I went shopping last week for a J-45 TV. I played a bunch of guitars to get my bearings (unfortunately Guitar Center was the only spot that had a good inventory of Gibby's).

As much as I wanted the TV that was there - even had them put on new strings - I kept coming back to something called the Advanced Jumbo Pro. It was loud, but not obnoxious. It was clear as a bell, lovely deep, chimey lows, and played really well.

For over $1000 difference, I ended up walking out with this AJ Pro. When I got home I started looking around for what it was and couldn't find any except at GC. The guitar sounds amazing. I played the heck out of it over the weekend. Even recorded it. It sounds like a Gibson should - clearly it has the AJ lineage, but I'm having issues around the fact that it's not a well known member of the Gibson lineup.

Should I keep it? Or should I go try a true AJ somewhere? What are your thoughts on Gibson's like this that are made specifically around custom dealer specs?

Dang. I'm torn. It's one of the nicest guitars I've ever played though. Tempted to keep it, even if one day I have to go out and get a true AJ....

I tried one at our local shop......it has a pickup and the body depth is much shallower than the standard AJ..also Madagascar B&S....I think it has been as little as $2000 for a new one but MSRP's at $3k..It plays nice and the shallower body is very comfy, probably why they call it "PRO" more comfy to use on stage.....I like the guitar....

I tried one at our local shop......it has a pickup and the body depth is much shallower than the standard AJ..also Madagascar B&S

Did I read this correctly.... The AJ "PRO" has Madagascar B&S? Opposed to the traditional EIR of the regular AJ?

• 4 weeks later...

The one I tried had a 3-piece Madagascar B&S....sounded pretty good!! It was (and still IS ) at Gelb Music in Redwood City, Ca. Give them a call.....

I have an "official" letter from Ren stating that my SJ-200WC, which has a May 2011 serial number, is the last guitar that will come out of Bozeman with Madagascar back and rims. If this AJ Pro is indeed Madagascar and came out later, then it is something of a collectors item (and a classic case of "That's So Gibson!").

-- Bob R

I have an "official" letter from Ren stating that my SJ-200WC, which has a May 2011 serial number, is the last guitar that will come out of Bozeman with Madagascar back and rims. If this AJ Pro is indeed Madagascar and came out later, then it is something of a collectors item (and a classic case of "That's So Gibson!").

-- Bob R

That is interesting. Can't wait to find out what it really is.

You should check the scale length. I know the Hummingbird Pro is long scale where the actual Hummingbird is the traditional Gibson 24-3/4". The same could be true for AJ Pro. That would be a big difference from a regular AJ.

I think the AJ Pro is 25 1/2, but what does that mean as far as sound/playability... Idk.

I think the AJ Pro is 25 1/2, but what does that mean as far as sound/playability... Idk.

I did a little more research on the scale length. It looks like the Advanced Jumbo models normally have a scale length of 25 1/2", so no worries. When I was shopping a few months back, I ran into some differences between some of the specs on GC's website compared to Gibson's. If you like the way it plays and sounds, no need to worry about the scale length. Sounds like you got a new Gibson at a great deal!

• 6 years later...

I went shopping last week for a J-45 TV. I played a bunch of guitars to get my bearings (unfortunately Guitar Center was the only spot that had a good inventory of Gibby's).

As much as I wanted the TV that was there - even had them put on new strings - I kept coming back to something called the Advanced Jumbo Pro. It was loud, but not obnoxious. It was clear as a bell, lovely deep, chimey lows, and played really well.

For over $1000 difference, I ended up walking out with this AJ Pro. When I got home I started looking around for what it was and couldn't find any except at GC. The guitar sounds amazing. I played the heck out of it over the weekend. Even recorded it. It sounds like a Gibson should - clearly it has the AJ lineage, but I'm having issues around the fact that it's not a well known member of the Gibson lineup.

Should I keep it? Or should I go try a true AJ somewhere? What are your thoughts on Gibson's like this that are made specifically around custom dealer specs?

Dang. I'm torn. It's one of the nicest guitars I've ever played though. Tempted to keep it, even if one day I have to go out and get a true AJ....

i know this was 7 years ago, but i was just raving about my 2013 AJ Pro. i hope you kept it! they are amazingly consistent

i know this was 7 years ago, but i was just raving about my 2013 AJ Pro. i hope you kept it! they are amazingly consistent

• 1 year later...

It's now 2020.  Years have passed and so it's easy to be a Monday morning quarter back.  A used AJ Pro is now often selling at a higher price than the regular AJ's.  It has the same specs as a regular AJ except for the belly down bridge.  It has the same 25.5" scale length as a regular Advanced Jumbo.  I know, because I called Gibson and asked before I bought a used one.  No, they are not narrower bodies!  I did snap a picture inside the body and saw J-45 stamped on a brace.  So I suspect the bones on all round shoulder Gibson's are basically the  same.  All the AJ Pros were ordered by someone at GC with good common sense.  They reduced their cost and increased margin by cutting back on unnecessary bling like head stock inlays and binding on the neck.  Added the normal and popular Southern Jumbo inlays, as it's a less expensive option than the fast forward buttons.  Put on a belly down bridge to accommodate an electronic Baggs system, and thus dodge the possible defects that caused Gibson to go away from the narrow bridge to begin with.  The narrow bridge was known for pulling lose.  They all have Rosewood Back and Sides.  In short GC ordered a Guitar with the basic options that most customers preferred and they knew they could sell.    Now as time has passed the Rosewood is becoming increasingly harder to get and costs more when you do.  Gibson made less of these than the standard AJ's, so they are now more rare.  The sound is amazing whether it's a regular AJ or an AJ Pro.     

• 1 year later...