Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson Midtown custom

newlife15

Picked up this wonderful Midtown on Saturday and can't put it down.SOlid mahogany chambered body from what I understand

Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups go from clean to growly. It's sorta a cross between a 335 and 339. lighter weight than a 335 for sure but still feels a little hefty.

I am going to try and post picks......

Doesn't the Standard come with a Bigsby? . . But not on the Custom (?)

The Custom appointments look great.

Congrats. . B)

the Custom comes with nicer appointments .Ibought one last week in vintage sunburst and its a great guitar.More versatile than my les paul.Nicest finish on any guitar i have seen in sunburst, especially the back of the neck.I see Gibson is calling it a "limited edition ".

Obviously. . I was asking about the Bigsby - why did Gibson leave it off the Custom when the Standard comes with it? . Just curious.

I am willing to bet they wanted to give people different options.Most people dont care for the bigsby.I wouldnt have bought one if it had a Bigsby on it, then there is the one volume and one tone control.All in all its a very nice guitar.

I agree. I would not have purchased it with a bigsby but that's just my preference. Nothing wrong with one but I love the look of a 335 without one. Hey this guitar plays great. I am going to have the action lowered w bit and put some 11's on the guitar. Other than that, I haven't put it down :)

I agree. I would not have purchased it with a bigsby but that's just my preference. Nothing wrong with one but I love the look of a 335 without one. Hey this guitar plays great. I am going to have the action lowered w bit and put some 11's on the guitar. Other than that, I haven't put it down :)

Same hear , love the tone of the thing.I probably will have the action lowered too .Here is a pic of my Vintage Sunburst one.

Hey budglo that is a really nice sunburst. The white binding really makes it stand out.

Thanks, its one of the nicest sunbursts I had ever seen.I really like your cherry one too.These are great guitars IMO.Tonewise , its pretty versatile . The neck plays like butter, but I am gonna get the action lowered just a tad and widen the nut slots on the G and B strings just a touch.

The Richlite fretboard looks like ebony and to my fingers feels like it as well. I need to research to find out how to clean it. Can I use lemon oil like I would for ebony and rosewood? Not sure. Anyone know?

Heck the guitar plays great and I still haven't put her down. But I better cause my wife is busy with thanksgiving dinner prep and I know I will be called in to help in some way. Maybe the taste testing ;)

The Richlite fretboard looks like ebony and to my fingers feels like it as well. I need to research to find out how to clean it. Can I use lemon oil like I would for ebony and rosewood? Not sure. Anyone know?

Heck the guitar plays great and I still haven't put her down. But I better cause my wife is busy with thanksgiving dinner prep and I know I will be called in to help in some way. Maybe the taste testing ;)

from the richlite website...referring to their countertops...

Richlite surface is a durable, attractive material designed to stay beautiful for the lifetime of your kitchen, bath or office space. A simple wipe up with a damp sponge on a regular basis will maintain its beauty. Murphy’s Oil soap can also be applied at full strength for regular maintenance. Alkaline soap such as regular dish soap will gradually dull the surface, this usually occurs around the sink area. Howards Naturals Wood Cleaner and Polish will slightly renew the luster if used on a regular basis. Richlite recommends that fabricators finish the surface with Bioshield Wood Countertop Finish or Richlite Color Enhancer to provide a rich, polished finish that requires minimum care.

Sounds easy enough but I wonder if Gibson did what the Richlite company recommends as it relates to the finished product.

I hadnt planned on treating it at all until I can find some good info on it as a fretboard .It feels really nice though.

I agree. As far as I'm concerned it loses no tone by having Richlite. I wonder if anyone has done a side by side comparison to ebony or any other fretboard wood.

When I tried mine out in the store, I didnt know what material it was .Played it for about 15 minutes, liked what I felt and heard. Looked it over real good and thought the fretboard was ebony.Asked the guys to pull up the specs.Richlite fretboard.Knew it was somesort of alternative material, but liked how it played.Didnt care it wasnt ebony,it was coming home with me ! [wink]

From people who have actually played the Richlite, there have been nothing but praise.No one that I know has a problem with Gibson using it on their fretboards (of the people who have actually played one).

sometimes change is good...we all resist changes to the status....hell... I just finially got my 1st ebony fingerboard after 25 years oof 100% rosewood.

3069184222_ef2cec9ece.jpg

I took mine to the luthiers and didnt tell them it was a richlite fretboard.They finished and commented on what a nice guitar it was and how well it played.One of them said "what a nice ebony fretboard you have there". I told them it was richlite and they were floored on how nice it felt.

Archived