Gibson Brands Forums

A Chinese's learning pieces (covers of Bob Dylan)

gotomsdos

I'm Chinese. I went to Bob Dylan's gig in Beijing China in april this year. This is the first time I'v seen his gig, probably the last time as well. I hadn't knewn much about him before, except a few songs from CD. After that gig, I began to get some info about him, bought a couple of tabbooks of his songs from abroad and read through his autobiography (Chronicles Volume one), covered 2.5 tracks. I know, as a non English speaker, the covering is poor enough. Just get some opportunity to learn Western culture.

2.5 tracks: (some high tones are sung with falsetto, sorry)

Blowin' in the wind

Girl from the north country

Tangled up in blue (the first 3 verses)

URL:

http://bbs.guitarchina.com/thread-1321231-1-1.html

For communication only.

I'm Chinese. I went to Bob Dylan's gig in Beijing China in april this year. This is the first time I'v seen his gig, probably the last time as well. I hadn't knewn much about him before, except a few songs from CD. After that gig, I began to get some info about him, bought a couple of tabbooks of his songs from abroad, covered 2.5 tracks. I know, as a non English speaker, the covering is poor enough. Just get some opportunity to learn Western culture.

Blowin' in the wind

URL:

http://bbs.guitarchina.com/thread-1321231-1-1.html

For communication only.

very good

Wow. I am struck by your effort.........your covers are very good, sir! You have them posted on what appears to be a guitar forum much like this one, and though I cannot read the responses to your post I'm guessing they are impressed. I am.

As I listened I wondered how it is that a man from what we Westerners perceive as a repressive society comes to cover the songs of an American musical icon. Dylan has never had a good singing voice, his all ragged and whiney, but his lyrics seem to be universal. They speak of the human condition, not necessarily an American condition, but are there any American singers covering any Chinese singer/songwriters? From your Chinese perspective, what is it about Dylans music that is attractive, that makes you want to learn his songs? I find this fascinating.

I'm Chinese. I went to Bob Dylan's gig in Beijing China in april this year. This is the first time I'v seen his gig, probably the last time as well. I hadn't knewn much about him before, except a few songs from CD. After that gig, I began to get some info about him, bought a couple of tabbooks of his songs from abroad, covered 2.5 tracks. I know, as a non English speaker, the covering is poor enough. Just get some opportunity to learn Western culture.

Blowin' in the wind

URL:

http://bbs.guitarchi...321231-1-1.html

For communication only.

A very warm welcome and I thoroughly enjoyed your music - you are very talented!

Cheers

Matt

As I listened I wondered how it is that a man from what we Westerners perceive as a repressive society comes to cover the songs of an American musical icon. ... From your Chinese perspective, what is it about Dylans music that is attractive, that makes you want to learn his songs? I find this fascinating.

Thank you all for your encouragement !

Early Chinese rock and folk singers listened to tape cassettes that came from West and were destroyed by Customs by cutting them (CD, afterward), Dylan included. Their music almost was born and raised in those tape cassettes, so to speak. In April this year, in Beijing China, most of the early most famous rock and folk singers went to Dylan's gig, which are call "pilgrimage". Besides, personally, I guess, in Dylan's songs, literary value stands out more. He sings out poems. Literary songs has more meaning, and will live longer than sweet songs even though they're not as melodic as sweet songs are.

And more, about my guitar purchase plan:

This time's purchase plan for a Gibson J45 TV, is directly attributed to the listening of Dylan's mp3 (his Gibson J50 tone). It was through the searching of his history that I got to know "Gibson acoustic" (I had knewn "Gibson Electric" before). I was much attracted by the guitar tone of his old Gibson J50 from his album The Freewheelin'. What I had knewn before is Martin. J50 has a natural finish, so does my martin HD-28, so I'd like a Sunburst to get different from HD-28, that's J45. And later I knew that J45 TV is more close to old J45, so I'm now stuck to J45 TV. Hope my reasoning is correct. US stores ship to US and Canada only, so gotta buy from outside US.

Archived