Gibson Brands Forums

Another question: ES335 vs ES339

RudyH

Yesterday I asked some questions about the ES335. I really should have asked my other question too, so here it is:

When I went to the Gibson dealer I handled both the ES335 and the ES339. I didn't have a chance to really put the guitars through their paces; that would have taken a couple of days. But I did get the impression that the 335 and 339, as advertised, sound about the same. I do like the size and feel of the 339.

If you've played both quite a bit, can you tell me how they compare in your long-term testing? I'd really appreciate the benefit of your knowledge.

My applications for the guitar are diverse, from very soft lullabys, blues, some jazz, and a bit of distorted rock sound too.

Thanks in advance.

I bought a new ES-339 around Sept. 10th. First gig was the 13th. Second was the 14th.

It's gigged every weekend since. I've only handled a 335 for a few minutes a few weeks before I ordered the 339 and fell in love with the neck. But the hugeness of it bothered me. I love the shape, the tone, ect, but the size was the deal killer.

The ES-339 is the only electric I've gigged since getting it, my Tele is going for trade or sale any day, I don't like confusing my brain with 2 different scale lengths, and it can't touch the Gibson for tone. I'll keep the '79 SG and the '61 Melody Maker.

I will buy a 335 someday. Maybe. But the 339 is a fab guitar for gigging.

Murph.

When I went to the Gibson dealer I handled both the ES335 and the ES339. I didn't have a chance to really put the guitars through their paces; that would have taken a couple of days. But I did get the impression that the 335 and 339' date=' as advertised, sound about the same. I do like the size and feel of the 339.

.[/quote']

Hi Rudy,

Have a search through the archives of this forum, there is much discussion on this topic (I ended up with a 335, but really considered a 339).

Cheers

TS

Archived