Gibson Brands Forums

Help Please

poopcicle

Hello everyone, I have a Korina G-400 that I use only in my home and for the most part is cased when not in use. I rotate every week between my Lp, 175 and Sg. I'm on an Sg week and everything was fine for the first few days, but last night the sound was really "twangy" almost out of tune continually [cursing] , I had not changed any settings and have left it out all week on a stand next to my amp. I use an Epi valve jr stack and recently upgraded the preamp to a JJ 12xa7 gold pin and kept the old JJ el in the power, other than that change(which occurred before it was Sg week) nothing is different. I have been using a Jet City afterburner overdrive pedal this week also but again(can't see how that would permanently influence the guitar becoming really muddy/out of tuneish/twangy!) all was fine in the beginning of the week.... As a side not I plugged my Es-175 in straight to the amp and through the overdrive pedal and noticed no problems, granted I didn't really play it to long as I was preoccupied with the Sg problem I'm really puzzled as to whats happened, so any insight you could offer would rule! thanks in advance for your help

It's really hard to try and make a positive Id' without physically being there to hold it and hear it for myself.

first question would be. Is it playing fine when it's unplugged, no unwanted rattling or unwanted noise?

if so we are looking at an electrical problem, so the next question would be does this problem occur on all three positions on the selector switch?

It's really hard to try and make a positive Id' without physically being there to hold it and hear it for myself.

first question would be. Is it playing fine when it's unplugged, no unwanted rattling or unwanted noise?

if so we are looking at an electrical problem, so the next question would be does this problem occur on all three positions on the selector switch?

Sounds ok when playing unplugged, All 3 positions seem to be sharing the same problem, with neck and middle showing the least, playing a chord like Em is all muddy and kinda "garbled" the middle position with some tone and volume tweaking gets me close to the sound I had before,Bridge is super twangy and sounds out of tune and is really amplifying the B and high E string for some reason.

Hmm, If it was my guitar, I would take the cover plate off the control cavity and have a good look inside to see if there are any obvious signs that the wiring has gone astray, such as loose or shorted out wires, also I would take the jack plate off and have a wee look at the wires in case they are loose or twisted.

If everything appears to be ok, then there is a high probability that it will be a issue with the selector switch which are notorious for breaking down on epi's .

I had a similar problem with an SG. The stock switch got all flaky after about six months. Changed the switch to a Switchcraft and the problem was gone. Spraying the guts of the switch with contact cleaner might help. Just DON'T get it on the finish of the guitar.

Good Luck!

Ok so after following all excellent suggestions offered here I was still at a loss! I decided as a last ditch before bringing it into the shop I would swap out the 12xa7 I put in the Valve jr head with the old RCA.......... problem gone, the sound is clean again and back on track. I don't really know how tubes work and what factors determine the produced sound but I am gonna guess that possibly the new gold pin jj 12xa7 was to hot for a volume knob only amp head..... If I had a low, mid, high control I think I could have dialed in proper sound, again this is just my guess. Thanks again for the help and input [thumbup]

Archived