Gibson Brands Forums

9's or 10's?

changelives

Gibson Les Paul models are shipped with 010's. I have a Les Paul Studio and a Les Paul Standard, I put .009's on mine, it won't damage the guitar at all. I didn't have to tweek the truss rod, I check my intonation every time I change strings anyway.

As most have said, just try it. You don't need to worry about the difference in setup - just to try the 9's.

Of course, there is a difference in the perfect setup for each gauge. If you like the 9's have it adjusted for that. I think generally a guitar setup for 9's should take 10's pretty well. Better than the reverse. And if you decide that you want to permanently switch back to 10's have it adjusted for them.

Personally, I like the tone of 10's better than 9's. However - 9's are certainly easier to bend (on a Paul). 10's on my Strat seem pretty soft. 10's on my LP are tougher on the fingers.

BTW - I just bought a 2009 (Gibson) LP Standard Plus. It's the first LP I have had in about 25 years. I love it. The new chambered bodies are different, but really rock (in my opinion).

I'm thinking about putting a set of 9's on it for a while...

• 9 years later...
On 12/9/2011 at 7:28 PM, changelives said:

Hi all,

When I bought my Gibson Les Paul Faded Studio, I asked them to change the strings to 9's (it comes from the factory with 10's). It was what my guitar teacher suggested.

But the guy at the store told me that because of the shorter scale length (24.75" versus a strat 25.5", for instance) I should use a heavier gauge string on gibson LP's. He said that because of the neck tension required, the thinner strings would throw the neck out of whack. Was he right or was he lazy?

I have been playing for a year and I spend a lot of time bending strings. I do fine with 10's - and could easily stick with them - but my teacher still says that 9's would be that must easier for me to nuance the bends.

Any advice?

Thanks

Changing the string guage will not throw your neck out of wack. I doubt he was lazy. I bet he heard that somewhere at one point in time and did not have any real world knowledge of the situation. IWhat you will notice is the 9's might feel a little sloppy.  Gibson type guitars will have less tension on the strings so it's a little easier to bend strings and create vibrato. This Makes them feel like lighter strings compared to a Strat type guitars especially if they have a floating bridge. They will feel a lot more firm.  so if your used to 9's on your strat you might want 10's o  your lp. If you have 10's on your lp you might want 9's on your strat. If you change the string size too much then you might have to adjust the intonation. I find one string size does not make a massive difference in intonation. But you might want to check it anyway.

• 3 months later...

Dear all,
I put my LP on 10-46 (instead 11-52 by previous owner) but it is still to heavy for me.
Taking my strat just after a LP gig is like taking off ski boots. My fingers become so easy and light.
Both are on Elixir strings so I do not understand such a huge difference.
Thanks