Gibson Brands Forums

Delay issue

awel

Hi,

I have an issue with my delay (boss dd7).

with the Mesa-Boogie Transatlantic, there is no effect loop so I have to connect my delay 'direct' after the overdrive pedal.

the problem is that, with the overdrive channel of the boogie, the sound is fuzzy when I play a quick lick; this is not happening when I use clean channel with a distortion pedal.

How can I make my delay sound proper with my overdrive channel?

The overdrive channel of your amp is gonna distort anything that you plug into it, it's not just gonna sense the repeats of your delay and decide not to distort them. Maybe if you turn the mix down on your delay a bit when you're running into the overdrive channel of your amp the lower level of the repeats will help keep them from getting too distorted. Kinda like how if you roll your guitars volume down the amp cleans up.

How much gain are you using?

The overdrive channel of your amp is gonna distort anything that you plug into it, it's not just gonna sense the repeats of your delay and decide not to distort them. Maybe if you turn the mix down on your delay a bit when you're running into the overdrive channel of your amp the lower level of the repeats will help keep them from getting too distorted. Kinda like how if you roll your guitars volume down the amp cleans up.

How much gain are you using?

the gain level on the boogie is around 6 and the delay mix level is 50%.

Delay after dirt is often preferred to delay before dirt, which is essentially what you're dealing with. It's especially true with digital delays, and even moreso with digital reverb. You'd probably find similar results if you stayed on the clean channel but swap the pedals. There's not really a way around it without an effects loop. If it were me, I'd just stay on the clean channel any time I wanted to use delay. You already have a good overdrive pedal that you can use if you need dirt with delay, so you seem to have your bases covered.

Turn down the mix on the delay or just use the delay with your clean channel and overdrive.

Guitarest running a booster before a delay can give you some really unpleasant distortion if the delay doesn't have a lot of headroom. It depends on the delay and how much of a boost you're using of course but it can get ugly. The Fulltone OCD is a pretty nice sounding overdrive though I don't really see why he'd want to change that given what he said..

Maybe but what I read is he uses the overdrive with both channels, on clean and the distortion channel with gain set at 6. Maybe I am wrong; its happened before and will happen again...

ok, so clarification:

I am not using the OCD on the drive channel of the amp, I use the OCD ONLY on the clean channel.

I have said that I am just facing the delay issue when I am using it with the Drive channel (gain on 6).

I will not use a Mesa Boogie amp drive channel AND a distortion.

But I am using a tubescreamer to boost the drive channel, I have said to boost not to distorted it.

:)

He said he's using the overdrive with his clean channel, I don't think he said anything about using an overdrive on the overdrive channel. I agree though that a boost sounds better on an already dirty amp.

Exactly, but to boost the drive channel, I have always used a TS-9.

The delay coming in line before distortion is the whole cause of this problem.

As I said, turn the mix down and the lower level of the repeats will make them less distorted when they hit your amps overdrive channel. Otherwise, install an effects loop or just use delay on your clean channel with your pedals making the dirt.

The delay coming in line before distortion is the whole cause of this problem.

As I said, turn the mix down and the lower level of the repeats will make them less distorted when they hit your amps overdrive channel. Otherwise, install an effects loop or just use delay on your clean channel with your pedals making the dirt.

Thank you, I will try this week-end. [thumbup]

Archived