Gibson Brands Forums

P94 in my Les Paul Custom ?

alans056

Hello all !

I have a Epi LP Custom with Gibson 57Classic in the neck, and a 57Classic+ in the bridge.

I like it very much and have played for 2 years, but a lot of guitarists that I admire play on P94's. I really love the tone. I was thinking of putting one in my Custom ?

Is that a good combination ? What do you guys think ?

Where should I put it? in the neck or the bridge ?

What that combination add more versatility to my guitar ?

My amp is Fender Blues Jr.

Thanks!

Guitarist of my favorite band "The Strokes" uses a Epi Riviera with P94. Here is the tone:

I mainly use my bridge pickup, for rock songs, chords, solos and such. The neck not so much, only for songs that recquire a certain sythisizer tone.

Why is P94 in the neck so common ? Would it sound really bad the other way around ?

P90 style pickups can have a lovely chimey tone to them when they're not being pushed too hard, and can growl like a wild dog when they are pushed, they're very dynamic overall. In the neck position the differences between those two characteristics can be fully explored. In the bridge position most pickups (of any type) have a more biting tone to them, putting a P90 style in that position, while still sounding great, won't be able to explore that range as well.

Oh I see thank you very much.

The reson I don't use my neck pickup a lot is because I think it's not very clear. It's very "bassy" if you know what I mean ? I find it hard to use it on my everyday playing. (It's a 57 clasic).

I think I will go with your advice and put a P94 in the neck! :) I hope it will be much more interesting to play!

Oh I see thank you very much.

The reson I don't use my neck pickup a lot is because I think it's not very clear. It's very "bassy" if you know what I mean ? I find it hard to use it on my everyday playing. (It's a 57 clasic).

I think I will go with your advice and put a P94 in the neck! :) I hope it will be much more interesting to play!

A P94 in the neck shouldn't give you that bassy sound at all (unless the tone is rolled completely off), they are very melodic when played with bit of a light touch, and can growl when you dig right in, as I mentioned above, they're very dynamic and responsive.

A P94 in the neck shouldn't give you that bassy sound at all (unless the tone is rolled completely off), they are very melodic when played with bit of a light touch, and can growl when you dig right in, as I mentioned above, they're very dynamic and responsive.

Perfect! And what brand would you recommend me? In a budget of about 100€ (130$, 83£).

I was thinking about the Gibson, but is there better in that price range?

Perfect! And what brand would you recommend me? In a budget of about 100€ (130$, 83£).

I was thinking about the Gibson, but is there better in that price range?

GFS make two great options at a low price, the Dream 90 and the Mean 90 (slightly hotter), they cost about $30 - $40. Dream 90 Link

IronGear also make one, I've just been reading up on there humbuckers, they get very good reviews and are reasonably inexpensive, one guy tried the P90s but I don't know him so can't be sure myself, it may be worth googling some more reviews of them though. IronGear Pickups Link

A step up in price brings in players like Seymour Duncan, Lollar and Gibson.

I can't remember hearing a bad report on GFS Dream 90s though and given their price I'd probably go with them.

GFS make two great options at a low price, the Dream 90 and the Mean 90 (slightly hotter), they cost about $30 - $40. Dream 90 Link

IronGear also make one, I've just been reading up on there humbuckers, they get very good reviews and are reasonably inexpensive, one guy tried the P90s but I don't know him so can't be sure myself, it may be worth googling some more reviews of them though. IronGear Pickups Link

A step up in price brings in players like Seymour Duncan, Lollar and Gibson.

I can't remember hearing a bad report on GFS Dream 90s though and given their price I'd probably go with them.

Is the Gibson P94 better than than the GFS dream 90 ?

I would say so, but not a great deal better, at 4 times the price it'd want to be a whole lot better, but I don't think it is.

+1. GFS Mean 90's are very popular on the Duncan site. Good PU's. The Dream 90's are not as popular.

There's a number of players that think Gibson '57 classics are kind of muddy in the neck; I'm one of them. I solved it by putting in an A5 magnet ('57's have A2's, which have a lot of mids and very little treble). Really opens up the sound. Epiphone '57 Classics aren't made to the same specs and just should be upgraded.

Here is a pic of my Squier Strat (With all USA electronics) with a GFS Mean 90' in Bridge and Fralin Blues Specials in Neck and Mid. I just installed the 90' last week. Its killer in the 4th position with the 2 together. Great Bassy tone and really makes the guitar sing.

stratq.jpg

Archived