Gibson Brands Forums

Model 100 Lefty

Fungus

Hi,

I just got a left handed Epiphone Les Paul Model 100 lefty for christmas! It appears to be a really nice guitar to start out with. Anything I should know about it or upgrade? Thanks.

First things first.....

Welcome to the forum!

1. Merry Christmas and HNGD!!...Conrats!

2. Don't play it right handed.

3. Read this..., and take your time:

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

4. Play it, get acquainted with it.

5. Play it, get acquainted with it.

6. Play it, get acquainted with it.

7. Play it, get acquainted with it.

8. Have Fun!

9. Play it, get acquainted with it.

10. Merry Christmas and HNGD!!...Conrats!

Willy

Willy....Thanks for the Welcome!

It's a darn good thing I'm left handed! LOL

Thanks for the link. I agree, I've got a ton of reading to do.

My fingers are so sore right now. I've been playing it since we brought it home yesterday. I'm guessing they will stop hurting at some point...LOL

I've found a few sites with resources for us lefty's. I have had a couple of guitars previously that were right handed...no fun playing upside down.....and turning all the chords around backwards too.....

I am truly going to enjoy this one! I'll pos a pic later.....

Pics....yes!

If you get to know your guitar for what it is and what you want from it......The rest is easy.

If you like every thing about it then, you are set to go.

If Not....

Is it worth changing?

If Yes.......

Trust me. There are members around here that can walk you through about anything.

It's really kind of simple.

Willy

Hi Fung, welcome to the forum and congrats on the Les Paul 100 LH model. Everyone here (yep, I'll speak for all, heh) enjoys pics!

It will likely a pleasure to be playing a model intended to be played by a left handed player. I suspect that many leftys find learning to play very difficult when some RH teachers can't deal with what they don't know.

Just playing the gift guitar as it is will likely provide a lot of enjoyment.. and any immediate changes made to the guitar may be disappointing to the gift giver.

As shown by many accomplished players, adapting a RH model for a lefty isn't difficult.. Changing the nut and possibly some saddle changes at the bridge permit the RH model to be strung properly for a lefty.

For upper scale fret access, a double cut-away model is better, but not absolutely neccessary.

A left handed student can probably learn finger placement more easily by sitting facing a RH player (mirrored image), instead of sitting alongside the teacher.. and since many videos are made of RH players, the veiwer is essentially facing the player.

The previous recommended suggestions are all good advice and a good amplifier makes any guitar more versatile.

Bill

Hi,

I just got a left handed Epiphone Les Paul Model 100 lefty for christmas! It appears to be a really nice guitar to start out with. Anything I should know about it or upgrade? Thanks.

Hi,

My husband says to tell you to use left handed strings.

And this reminded me, that you probably won't want to replace the pot knobs with just any you might see in a catalog/etc because most of them are RH knobs (actually numbered backwards compared to LH knobs).

Bill

My husband says to tell you to use left handed strings.

HNLGD (Happy New Lefty Guitar Day) and i have one here i play a lot more than a few of my other more expensive guitars actually. It's a 2001 (Made in Indo) i bought used and all i did was spray the pots, switch, and input jack with cleaner, file the nut slots a little, adjust the truss rod a tad, and get the action where i wanted it and plays really nice even with the original pickups in it for $80 with a case!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as i do and yes i am a lefty also [thumbup]

Archived