Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Painted Guitar Options

Strav's_fire

OK first of all this is my first post despite joining quite a few months ago (distractions etc...) so hello to anyone reading and hopefully this is the right place to go.

So here goes....

I've always liked the look of the Flying V that Hendrix had and I know there was a custom made a few years back. I've always liked the idea of having a guitar custom painted, something a little bit different. I've got a friend who thinks she may be able to paint on one (she has an art degree so I think I can trust her!), so to get to the point:

1. Does anyone have any experience painting?

2. Are any woods better/worse? i.e. is mahogany better than laminated maple?

3. Opinions on what you think would look best? Flying V? Semi-hollow?

At the moment I'm thinking of buying a second hand guitar (an Epi probably – thinking Dot, Sheraton etc. – bigger area to paint) and as I say I won't be the one painting it, but would like to hear anyone’s experiences or opinions on what may be best.

Cheers all

Welcome to the forums SF, there's a great bunch of guys around here, hope you like the place.

I don't think there's too much in way of convention, the artwork on this geet was done with pencils before being clear coated.

Hembry_ClassicFlamedAnigre-03.jpg

I would say that any paint job or artwork should be relatively thin and flat. That way your clear won't have to be as thick.

That is assuming you are going to clear coat over top.

Or are you planning on doing a paint job on top of an already finished guitar?

If you are going to clear coat after doing the artwork, whick is the most accepted way, remember to use compatible paints and clear coats. Oil with oil, and so on.

So many variations to consider.

Thanks guys, some interesting designs and ideas - getting an anything goes vibe.

Probably need to decide what sort of design to go for; the psychedelic style of the Hendrix V is what I’m veering to at the moment.

Since that’s acrylic my presumption is that it would be on top of an already finished guitar. This may be easier than stripping the finish off and starting again.

When I get more ideas I’ll come back and see what everyone thinks..

As you look more and ask, you'll find the possibilities are limitless.. I've seen printed fabric applied, hologram film, vinyl, airbrush work, and one I'd like to try is a swirl mix of Magic Marble-type paint colors.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theswirling/sets/

.. then there's laser treatment including photo reproduction, CNC 3-D routing of the surface, implanting LCD screens.. I think you can see how the ideas know no boundries.

Removing more recently applied finishes can amount to a significant task espcially if the body is coated with polyester, which many are. This particular resin resists common paint strippers although there are a couple of types which will remove it safely.

The WOODWEB site has a lot of info regarding modern finishes and techniques.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Guitar_Finishes.html

This excellent book was recommended here before, and I agree it's very informative and definitely a worthwhile reference

Understanding Wood Refinishing by Bob Flexner ISBN 0-87596-566-0

Bill

OK first of all this is my first post despite joining quite a few months ago (distractions etc...) so hello to anyone reading and hopefully this is the right place to go.

So here goes....

I've always liked the look of the Flying V that Hendrix had and I know there was a custom made a few years back. I've always liked the idea of having a guitar custom painted, something a little bit different. I've got a friend who thinks she may be able to paint on one (she has an art degree so I think I can trust her!), so to get to the point:

1. Does anyone have any experience painting?

2. Are any woods better/worse? i.e. is mahogany better than laminated maple?

3. Opinions on what you think would look best? Flying V? Semi-hollow?

At the moment I'm thinking of buying a second hand guitar (an Epi probably – thinking Dot, Sheraton etc. – bigger area to paint) and as I say I won't be the one painting it, but would like to hear anyone’s experiences or opinions on what may be best.

Cheers all

Archived