Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul PlusTop PRO/FX

kristof_w

If you don't plan on using the Tremolo, why buy a Floyd guitar? The Floyd is just an annoyance. It prevents you from using different tunings, destroys the LP's beautiful sustain (which you will want for Blues), and it requires a lot of maintenance in comparison to a fixed bridge.

I wanted a Tribute Plus for a long time, I just couldn't afford it. Definitely recommended, Floyds and LPs don't go well together.

I have to disagree with that statement, my brother brought his Pro/FX home with him over the Christmas break and after a new set of Ernie Ball 10's and a minor setup that thing sustains for days. Way more than my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus, which sustains quite nicely as well.

The Nanomag is fairly convincing to my ears. To sound like a "true" acoustic guitar, it's more or less obligatory to run it through an acoustic simulator effect of some nature. After all, a pickup cannot miraculously overcome the total lack of a resonating huge hollow guitar body on its own. [flapper] However, even on a simple electric guitar clean setting (no acoustic sim), the difference between the normal pups and the NanoMag is really obvious to the ear IMO.

The preamplification is the same in both models I think, and I will agree with RaSTuS, it gives you plenty of control over how the Nanomag sounds. It's very sensitive to even minor tweaking of the knobs.

I have to disagree with that statement, my brother brought his Pro/FX home with him over the Christmas break and after a new set of Ernie Ball 10's and a minor setup that thing sustains for days. Way more than my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus, which sustains quite nicely as well.

Sure, I didn't mean to imply that using a floyd means no sustain. But for a person's first electric guitar, it's preferred to avoid the floating bridge. Setting up the Floyd is much harder and requires a lot more expertise than setting up a fixed bridge, especially one of the Tune-o-Matic type which is probably the simplest type. As a starting player, I wouldn't like to be bound to a single tuning, or to be forced to spend a lot of time learning to adjust the back springs and bridge height etc etc. that automatically comes with using a floyd. Especially more so if I wasn't going to use the floyd [tongue]

Do you guys know why some Epiphone guitars (like the LP Tribute Plus) aren't on the epiphone website, but are on the gibson website? It's not because they don't make them anymore, because the LP Tribute Plus is even in the new catalog. [confused]

PS: I also got a phonecall from my guitarshop and the guy there said that I should wait for a bit longer, since there's some kind of convention in the US, and there will be decided whether or not some guitars - like the Pro/FX - make it to the European market.

Anyway, my preference right now (without having played it) goes to the Tribute Plus.

Do you guys know why some Epiphone guitars (like the LP Tribute Plus) aren't on the epiphone website, but are on the gibson website?

Epiphones website has rarely been up to date with all the current models they're producing, it's better now than their previous version though.

Do you guys know why some Epiphone guitars (like the LP Tribute Plus) aren't on the epiphone website, but are on the gibson website? It's not because they don't make them anymore, because the LP Tribute Plus is even in the new catalog. [confused]

I asked Epiphone Support about that. Most of their new models have been limited editions for the big chain retailers. The only ones listed on their site are the ones every distributor can get. You can't go to one place online and see everything Epiphone makes for the US market. That's kind of frustrating. You have to keep an eye out yourself for most new models.

Archived