Gibson Brands Forums

Listen to this J45

livemusic

It's an adjustable saddle -- notice the screws on either end -- which I believe were standard on most J-45s and J-50s of that era.

CORRECT! It's the correct stock adjustable bridge option which was available in 60's models....

[thumbup]

CORRECT! It's the correct stock adjustable bridge option which was available in 60's models....

[thumbup]

For the J-45, I believe it's much more common to see the adjustable bridge in this period with the rosewood saddle, rather than the ceramic one shown in the pictures above. A lot of us with the rosewood saddles back in the late 60's and early 70's routed them out to take a bone saddle insert (like a "normal" Gibson saddle), while retaining the adjustable feature.

The bone "conversion saddle" shown in the pictures below was done in 1970. Even back then we recognized that bone is better. The pictures also show the mass of weight and top-deadening material you can remove if you replace the adjustable bridge from that period with a "proper" one. Note the huge, 3/16" thick plywood bridgeplate, and the massive adjustment mechanism. The only good thing about it was that you could do quick saddle height adjustments for different stylse of playing, but what it did sonically was not good.

boneadjustablesaddle.jpg

boneadjustable.jpg

The last picture shows the replica of my original 1948-1950 belly-up bridge with through-saddle that Ross Teigen made for this guitar as part of its "million mile tuneup" last year. She has regained not only her former aesthetic dignity, but an astonishing amount of sonic clarity as a result.

bridge.jpg

Archived