Gibson Brands Forums

1947 Gibson J-50

Gibsonman2

That's an unusual combination: small bridge, open-back tuners, and modern block logo. Looks like a real transition piece, and a fairly early J-50. Looks to be in absolutely lovely shape, without the excessive play wear we usually see on guitars of this vintage. What's the FON?

I don't have a J-50, but do have a J-45 from a year or so later: 3644 FON.

There are no numbers on it anywhere. Alot of older ones did not have any numbers. Yes it's pretty clean and has never had a strap button put on it.

Post-war block-logo guitars such as this usually have an FON stamped on the neck block, visible by looking into the soundhole. It should also have J-50 stamped on the back center cleat.

Sometimes it is really really faded. I didn't see the fon in my '60 country western for 2 weeks until I got a really bright LED flashlight and checked. Then I could barely make out an "R" and some numbers. I couldn't really make out the numbers still.

Gibsonman wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this infomation from Vintage Guitar Information: Gibson Flat top models. The guitar I have matches this. 47s did not have script logo.

Like I said there are no numbers at all on the entire guitar. A couple of guys over at the UMGF also have older ones with no numbers. Mine is either a 47 or it could be a 48. Here is the spects. ,and then this is a reply from a member on the UMGF. The nut width on mind is 1 11/16"

1947 J-50 introduction specs: Natural finish version of J-45. 16" wide, round shoulder dreadnought shape, mahogany back and sides, solid spruce top with scalloped X-bracing, black bridge pins, 2 pearl dots on rectangle bridge, teardrop pickguard shape, single bound top and back, dot fingerboard inlays, gold logo, natural finish. Hi Gibsonman,

There were '47 script logo J-50s...maybe rare, but they exist.

Your guitar is a lovely one. My only point (if I have one) is that the features on your guitar could make it '47-'48 with no real way to pin it down better than that, I think. Yes, Gibsons from 1947 (and 1946) were known to have no FONs. But your guitar could well be a 1948 with no FON showing. (The '49s also share almost all of the same features...I'm not quite sure though if the nut had narrowed from 1 3/4" by 1949?)

Not that it matters - the guitar looks like a great one. I'm a fan of the early post-war Gibson Js!

Cheers,

Blair

Plenty of Gibson flat-tops from this era will NOT have any numbers on them anywhere. It's a pain in the rear end when you're trying to date the guitar, but sounds like you've got the date correct based on the particular features of this guitar.

Dang, I had one just like that.... No ID marks.. just had to go by the Pickguard, Bridge, Logo... Just so you know... the one I had was a 51... No serial number , no batch numbers..

Nice J50 you have there....

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love a 1950's model but couldn't afford one so I got a '64 Adjustable and she's a gem. I had the bridge changed since and reliced up some Klusons since the photos were taken...

She's got the wide nut and a medium neck profile and is in MINTY condition. I couldn't be happier!!!

DSCN0368.jpg

DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0369.jpg

DSCN0372.jpg

DSCN0417.jpg

DSCN0374.jpg

[thumbup]

Anybody else gotta J-50 they wanna show us?

[drool]

Well, here's my '48-'50 J-45 masquerading as a J-50, as it did for more than 40 years after being re-topped by Gibson in 1968. I couldn't stand the cherry 'burst it came back with from Gibson--it's a long story--so I stripped the top and shot it with clear nitro. It's back to being a J-45 now, but it was a nice J-50 for a long time....... [biggrin]

blondeonblonde.jpg

I'd love a 1950's model but couldn't afford one so I got a '64 Adjustable and she's a gem. I had the bridge changed since and reliced up some Klusons since the photos were taken...

She's got the wide nut and a medium neck profile and is in MINTY condition. I couldn't be happier!!!

DSCN0368.jpg

DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0369.jpg

DSCN0372.jpg

DSCN0417.jpg

DSCN0374.jpg

[thumbup]

Thats an absolute beauty and minty '64 J-50 there, Spoton.... [thumbup]

Thats an absolute beauty and minty '64 J-50 there, Spoton.... [thumbup]

Thank mate!!

Yeah I got a pretty close to MINT Collectors Grade guitar as I could which was nick considering I could get a 40's/50's model...

Haven't seen too many in as good condition...

[smile]

Archived