Gibson Brands Forums

Heavy gauge strings on an SG

outforblood

Well, I play in Eb standard and I just put some Ernie Ball "skinny top heavy bottom" (10-52) strings on...I've been reading that the neck joint on an SG is not the greatest design, meaning a heavier gauge string can cause issues? I had to re-set guitar, truss rod adjustment, intonation, action ect. Has anyone had any problems using heavier strings on an SG?

I've always used 11-49 on my SG. No problems, other than a broken neck or two! [cursing]

Just kidding. The breaks had nothing at all to do with the strings. Here is a link to D'Addario's website. They list the string tensions by family of product.

If you are using the light top/heavy bottom set EXP140, 10-52, the total tension is 121.5 lbs. I use the EXP115, total 118.6 lbs. Does not seem to be much difference between the two.

You can find the string tensions for every string they sell at their site.

When I switch gages from 10's to 11's, I usually have to reset the intonation a little, but not the truss rod.

I have been using 11s for around thirteen years and never had a problem with any of my guitars. My oldest SG is only about six years old and has only known 11s. The neck is straight as an arrow (no bowing or warping).

And can you explain why skinny top / heavy bottom* strings? I don't get them. Why not just go with 11s or 12s?

*Small breasts / big butt

I like to be able to bend and chunk! It's basically 10's on top and 12's on bottom...

So far the "skinny top heavy bottoms" are amazing! I would like to try out some 10-50 but I think DR is the only brand that makes them, and my local shop does not carry that gauge.

I use the same strings as you (Ernie Ball "skinny top heavy bottom" (10-52)) on my 3 SG's and have had no problem.

I even use them on my old 1981 Flying-V which has an even slimmer nut width and joint. No trouble.

Having to adjust your action/truss rod/intonation etc (re-slot your nut & saddles)is normal if the guitar had lighter strings on it before when last setup.

I like to be able to bend and chunk! It's basically 10's on top and 12's on bottom...

So far the "skinny top heavy bottoms" are amazing! I would like to try out some 10-50 but I think DR is the only brand that makes them, and my local shop does not carry that gauge.

Yes! I am the same way. The slinky 10's on the high strings allow for serious singing vibrato, bends and pulls. I don't use a trem on my guitars, so I do a lot of bending, makes for great singing notes.

The heavy low keeps the chugging tight, great combination, IMO.

Yes! I am the same way. The slinky 10's on the high strings allow for serious singing vibrato, bends and pulls. I don't use a trem on my guitars, so I do a lot of bending, makes for great singing notes.

The heavy low keeps the chugging tight, great combination, IMO.

Indeed! The tension feels pretty good tuned a half step down...not too tight, no too loose.

Archived