Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Weight

nipsnertz

I am trying to buy a Les Paul and I have read many posts about weight and balance. I noticed that the Gibson website does not seem to show the weight of their models . I know that the exact weight of Les Pauls vary but can anyone tell me the approx. weight of some of the models that I am looking at like: (1) LP Custom (with weight relief back); (2) 2008 LP Std traditional, (3) 2008 LP Std (chambered). I have an 80's LP Deluxe and the weight is a negative but the real problem is that it is so bottom heavy that it is hard to play seated because the guitar won't really balance on my leg. Does anyone know about the balance of the newer models ? Why won't gibson give this kind of basic information to their customers?

Partly because it doesn't really matter to the sound. At least if i've been keeping up with information given on the lifestyle section in interviews etc. The Weight of the body with the weight relief does effect the sound, but its been done to recreate the tone of a type of mahogany that you can't exactly get a lot of any more. Look up the Peter Frampton interview from this year where he talked about why his custom shop model is weight relieved vs being an exact replica what records would indicate his original custom was.

Headstock shape, binding things like that add to the tone etc. if you go to the store and you don't like the guitar because it's to heavy why not just look at another one? It's all about timbre....

I've seen heavy ones, and I've seen light ones. Any LP Custom will be heavy because it's thicker from front to back than a Standard. VOS models are some of the lightest Les Pauls around because they use hand-selected lightweight pieces of mahogany for the body. It makes a slight difference in sound, but not enough that 90% of players would notice when cranking through an amp and effects.

Personally, I L-O-V-E my 2008 Standard... wouldn't trade it for anything! I also love SOME VOS models for their long-tenon neck joint, but not for their price!

I suspect Gibson don't publish weights because they don't want to be tied-into a set of parameters. A brief check of weights recorded for '58-'60 Standards in 'The Beauty of the Burst' shows a variation in the same year (1959) from 3674 grammes to a whopping 4411 grammes; that equates to a 20% difference in the same model!

As far as balance goes I noticed a huge difference between a 2002 Standard I had with Grovers and my '60 RI which has Klusons. The '02 was, in comparison, neck-heavy and I suspect the tuners may have had a lot to do with this. Grovers may suit you better. Best to try out as many different guitars to find 'the One'; as you will have gathered we all have different criteria!

Good luck hunting.

My LP Standard ('02 model) purchased in 2007 weighed 8lbs 2oz.

My new LP Standard ('08 model) weighs 8lbs 10oz.

work that one out!

I think quite a lot is in the new, chunkier, assymetric neck as well.

cheers

Thank you BigBends, The wildwoodguitars website is great info. I put my 76 LP Deluxe on a postage scale last night and it weighed in at 10 lbs 12.5 ounces. As I said, the weight does not bother me as much as the fact that you really can't play this guitar sitting down because it is so bottom heavy that it won't balance on my leg.

Thank you BigBends' date=' The wildwoodguitars website is great info. I put my 76 LP Deluxe on a postage scale last night and it weighed in at 10 lbs 12.5 ounces. As I said, the weight does not bother me as much as the fact that you really can't play this guitar sitting down because it is so bottom heavy that it won't balance on my leg.[/quote']

Hi nipsnerts

My 72 Deluxe weighs in at 9lbs on my bathroom scales

Regards

Stef

Archived