Gibson Brands Forums

Hi I'm new and have a question?????

TIMDOT

I just got a Dot deluxe and let me say it plays great and has some real nice tone. But I was checking out the whole guitar from top to bottom and found that inside the f holes the wood is delaminating. I called GC and told them,so they said come back and exchange it. I went back today and looked at 2 more and the same issue was present. The problem was not found on regular Dots just the deluxe models. Will this be a problem in the future or is there some way to stop this before it gets worse. BTW I kept the first one I got cause they gave me the choice of full refund or discount. GC did what was right imho and I will do more buiss with them in the future. [thumbup]

TIMDOT,

Don't know.

Are you willing to gamble on it?

I wouldn't. (Wish I had a better answer.)

By the way...welcome to the forum. Let us know what you decide.

Willy

No I kept it cause it plays like a dream,plus it still has a 10 year warrenty. They gave me the guitar at cost so it was very resonable as far as price. I figure if it holds up for 1-2 years it will for 10-15. By then I will have played it into the ground. [scared]

Can you get a close up of where it is delaminating? I'd like to see that.

Is it the thin veneer flame that is pulling away or is it the entire top

that is pulling apart? [confused]

No its in the f hole underneth inside. You can't see it and its hard to get a pic of. But when ya feel around inside you can feel and move the thin layer thats slightly pulled away.

If you end up keeping the guitar, here's a way to prevent further deterioration:

1) Use a piece of paper to slide some carpenter's glue (Franklin's Titebond, for example) between the layers that are delaminating.

2) Wipe off any excess glue with a damp cloth.

3) Wrap a piece of waxed paper around the edge of the f-hole, then some soft cloth around that (A folded scrap of old t-shirt, etc.)

4) Clamp the glued area with a spring paper clip ---- one of these guys:

stock-photo-spring-paper-clip-against-a-plain-white-background-2134648.jpg

5) Allow to dry and set for several hours

6) Carefully remove any glue residue that may have oozed out onto the finished area.

The cloth will spread the pressure of the clip so you don't get pinch marks on the wood; the waxed paper is to prevent the cloth from being stuck to the guitar by any glue that oozes out. If done properly, this will re-laminate the plies that are coming apart so they remain sealed.

If you end up keeping the guitar, here's a way to prevent further deterioration:

1) Use a piece of paper to slide some carpenter's glue (Franklin's Titebond, for example) between the layers that are delaminating.

2) Wipe off any excess glue with a damp cloth.

3) Wrap a piece of waxed paper around the edge of the f-hole, then some soft cloth around that (A folded scrap of old t-shirt, etc.)

4) Clamp the glued area with a spring paper clip ---- one of these guys:

stock-photo-spring-paper-clip-against-a-plain-white-background-2134648.jpg

5) Allow to dry and set for several hours

6) Carefully remove any glue residue that may have oozed out onto the finished area.

The cloth will spread the pressure of the clip so you don't get pinch marks on the wood; the waxed paper is to prevent the cloth from being stuck to the guitar by any glue that oozes out. If done properly, this will re-laminate the plies that are coming apart so they remain sealed.

There ya go that sounds perfect,thank you so much for the very detailed info. I will do just as you said and again thank you so very much. [thumbup][thumbup]

Archived