Gibson Brands Forums

HELP!! ES125 that needs help.

Mikey52Es125

Hello all, I have a 1952 Gibson ES125 and the sides of the body need to be replaced . My grandad had this guitar and was playing in a bar and the guitar fell. Well it busted a hole in the bottom side where the jack for your cable is . I was wanting to know was it possible for a luthier to replace the sides and refinish the guitar. This guitar has been in my family since the Korean war , and is a very important keepsake. thanks

Hello all,

I have a 1952 Gibson ES125 and the sides of the body need to be replaced . My grandad had this guitar and was playing in a bar and the guitar fell. Well it busted a hole in the bottom side where the jack for your cable is . I was wanting to know was it possible for a luthier to replace the sides and refinish the guitar. This guitar has been in my family since the Korean war , and is a very important keepsake. thanks

Is the damage that bad, that you can't just repair the worst area?

Do you have any photos? As jedzep says, you may be able to have it repaired rather than re-built to the extent you're suggesting.

Also, I doubt that you should be thinking in terms of refinishing the whole guitar. In the world of vintage guitars, refinishing is generally a bad thing.

The guitar is very playable the neck is smooth as silk . This damage has been there since the 70's . it was repaired with glue and a piece of plastic wood covering . i removed all the covering , cause i cant see a guitar like this in this shape. I also the pots and the p90 ,everything except the pickguard.

Hey, that is some crazy-looking damage! It looks like someone already tried to "fix it"... Very strange! My suggestion is to do a search for a luthier in your area. Present it to them and get an opinion and estimate! Other than that, I am of no help. Maybe someone else can weigh in.

Best of Luck, RRod

Mike, thanks for posting the photos. Ouch, that is pretty nasty stuff. I still suspect that a talented repairman could fix it without completely replacing the sides, but it could get expensive. I don't know, and have no expertise or first-hand experience, but I have seen reports and examples of some pretty amazing repairs, so I'd say there's hope. If I had an old family treasure like that, I would do all I could to have it restored as expertly and professionally as possible. So, I agree with Rod- ask around and try to find a highly skilled and experienced luthier or repairperson in your area (or, if necessary, you might consider sending the guitar to such a repairman or luthier). Good luck, and again- don't let anybody refinish the whole guitar.

Hopefully someone with more experience with repair work will see this discussion (I think there may be at least one such person who visits this forum).

Having sone some repair & restoration work myself, I would say that the damage is definitely fixable and the sides do NOT need to be replaced. Where are you located? Maybe there's someone who can suggest a qualified repairman/luthier in your area to do the work.

Most luthiers would want to repair the whole thing by replacing both sides, as there is damage to both; it would be quicker, easier, come out much neater and basically be a lot less fiddly. Because that is quite a lot of damage! I would expect Gibson to do that if you put the repair job with them.

However this would change the tone of the guitar not necessarily badly but away from the original even more, as well as affecting the value.

So you need to find an older (i.e. very experienced) guy who knows wood and semis and acoustic guitars - not someone who builds solidbodies all the time. They are usually in demand and busy; vintage guitar dealers have to know good people, so you could put it with one of them but discuss exactly what is going to be done and get an estimate.

It's quite repairable and worthwhile doing but will cost plenty.

I'm certain if you look long enough you will find someone.

Best wishes, it looks like a great guitar with a few stories to tell!

Archived