Gibson Brands Forums

Re-posting with pics...I.D. late 60s 335!!

mloch

OK..sorry bout the rookie post!! Serial# 980025 imprinted faintly on back of headstock..blank orange label in f-hole.....this guitar had been smashed in the late 70s by my uncle and incredibly repaired and made perfectly playable again! Ive had it since 87. The tuners are now grovers and it used to have a tail piece....thanks for the info!! post-39866-066900200 1327958751_thumb.jpg ] post-39866-030491900 1327958675_thumb.jpgpost-39866-050896100 1327959085_thumb.jpgpost-39866-088229600 1327958913_thumb.jpg

OK..sorry bout the rookie post!! Serial# 980025 imprinted faintly on back of headstock..blank orange label in f-hole.....this guitar had been smashed in the late 70s by my uncle and incredibly repaired and made perfectly playable again! Ive had it since 87. The tuners are now grovers and it used to have a tail piece....thanks for the info!! post-39866-066900200 1327958751_thumb.jpg ] post-39866-030491900 1327958675_thumb.jpgpost-39866-050896100 1327959085_thumb.jpgpost-39866-088229600 1327958913_thumb.jpg

You need to supply a clearer photo of the label, and we need a photo of the back of the headstock showing the serial number and the neck/headstock transition.

I am a little confused on the question. What are we IDing?

I think, the most interesting (and relevant) things to know is WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO THAT GUITAR?!?! And, what and how was it able to be repaired?

I think there is more you can tell us than we could possibly tell you!

I am a little confused on the question. What are we IDing?

I think, the most interesting (and relevant) things to know is WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO THAT GUITAR?!?! And, what and how was it able to be repaired?

I think there is more you can tell us than we could possibly tell you!

I think it's fair to say that somebody was really pissed off about something. Looks like what my ex-wife might have done if she'd been able to find my guitar..... [biggrin]

In that condition, does it really matter if it's a '66 or a '68 or whatever? I know people are often curious about an exact year, but I always wonder this when a guitar from the era of serial number ambiguity comes up. Apparently it's pre-Norlin, so......... yeah, it's a late '60's 335 that will never be very valuable in monetary terms.

Glad it's playable again. Enjoy it.

In that condition, does it really matter if it's a '66 or a '68 or whatever? I know people are often curious about an exact year, but I always wonder this when a guitar from the era of serial number ambiguity comes up. Apparently it's pre-Norlin, so......... yeah, it's a late '60's 335 that will never be very valuable in monetary terms.

Glad it's playable again. Enjoy it.

No Jim, I don't think it matters at all. I agree that this guitar ain't worth much in this condition.

No Jim, I don't think it matters at all. I agree that this guitar ain't worth much in this condition.

All we were trying to do is help pin down the year of manufacture. For me, these are the types of puzzles that deserve to be solved. Even if the guitar were pristine, whether it was a '68 or a '72 would have little impact on value. Given the inconsistency of some of the Gibson serial number and identification sites, it's just another piece of the puzzle that may help sort some of these things out.

Essentially, this guitar has little market value. There are too many alternatives in far better condition. If the owner wants to determine value for puposes of selling it, the only rational way is to auction it. If he wants to understand when it was made, I'm happy to try to unravel that within my limited capabilities.

All we were trying to do is help pin down the year of manufacture. For me, these are the types of puzzles that deserve to be solved. Even if the guitar were pristine, whether it was a '68 or a '72 would have little impact on value. Given the inconsistency of some of the Gibson serial number and identification sites, it's just another piece of the puzzle that may help sort some of these things out.

Essentially, this guitar has little market value. There are too many alternatives in far better condition. If the owner wants to determine value for puposes of selling it, the only rational way is to auction it. If he wants to understand when it was made, I'm happy to try to unravel that within my limited capabilities.

Understood, Nick. I wouldn't argue with that. In a case like this (vagueness resulting from Gibson's numbering issues; the fact that there's little difference between say a '66 and a '68 335- and little difference in value; and the condition of this guitar), I guess my point was that solving this particular puzzle was perhaps less consequential than most puzzles we're presented with around here.

less consequential or not

I understand this point of view, however,when someone comes to the forum asking questions about their guitar

Should the guitar have to pass a standards test to have any questions answered. Each guitar and owner should

be given a little respect, whether it is a 100k guitar or $100 guitar.

less consequential or not

I understand this point of view, however,when someone comes to the forum asking questions about their guitar

Should the guitar have to pass a standards test to have any questions answered. Each guitar and owner should

be given a little respect, whether it is a 100k guitar or $100 guitar.

I think we all tried to answer the question, but it may be impossible to answer definitively.

The truth is not always pleasant.

I don't think anybody was disrespectful.

I think we all tried to answer the question, but it may be impossible to answer definitively.

The truth is not always pleasant.

I don't think anybody was disrespectful.

I plus ya on that one Jim...I didn't detect any disrespect. Some folks are a little thin-skinned perhaps...

We are not 'miracle-workers' on this forum and can only 'call em' like we see em''....and hell...that is subjective... :unsure:

Rod

Sorry all . My post may have come accross too strongly. I appologise.

You guys always do the detective work everytime a new guitar shows up.

I read every post in the Vintage gibson section, Love all the info ,

and will never absorb all the info or Knowledge you guys have.

You guy's give your time and knowledge freely, to the benefit of many.

Sorry all . My post may have come accross too strongly. I appologise.

You guys always do the detective work everytime a new guitar shows up.

I read every post in the Vintage gibson section, Love all the info ,

and will never absorb all the info or Knowledge you guys have.

You guy's give your time and knowledge freely, to the benefit of many.

Hey Cam, no worries. The point you made remains quite valid, and is a good reminder.

Cheers. [thumbup]

I wanna thank all you guys for your comments....Yea I know the guitar is beat to hell etc.....its been my workhorse for 25 years now and the most reliable of any guitar Ive owned! Im glad I found this forum....you guys know your stuff! I was just trying to find the year of the guitar so I can tell folks when they ask. I look forward to sharing more guitar stuff with yall!!!!

Still would be interesting to hear the story of how it was smashed, and how humpty-Dumpty was able to be put back together!

A vintage guitar doesn't have to be just "when was it made and how much is it worth" to be interesting.

• 7 months later...

I think it's fair to say that somebody was really pissed off about something. Looks like what my ex-wife might have done if she'd been able to find my guitar..... [biggrin]

Hi and I know I'm commenting on an old post you made. LOL on the ex-wife I can certainly identify. For nearly a year while waiting for my divorce to hobble thru I had my brother in law keep my '64 335 while I kept the original case at home. As long as she saw the case she figured it was there. I called it my Trojan Horse deception.

You know great battles are won by an equally great deception. BTW I bought it before I got married and in the state I live in she never had a chance to claim it was a marital asset.

Cheers!

Archived