Gibson Brands Forums

Terrible Blues

TinyBabyBrandon

I just have to say it. I have noticed the horrific trend of every time I'm jonesing to get a sweet look and a listen after some guitar I'm lusting after, most of the time a 335 or Gibby hollow body of some make or kind, I travel the ole information super highway to the youtubes. And guess what I find 9 times out of 10? Some white dude playing lame *** white boy blues to a horrific, cringe inducing backing track. I mean talk about seriously bad, and just a waste of my time. No one is ever playing sweet jazz compositions, interesting chord melodies or some cool original thing they made up, or even a cover of a great song that showcases what the guitar can really do and really sounds like (most of the time), instead, it's cranked with some lame distortion pedal by a fat guy sitting in a chair in front of his computer wanking off on a nauseating SRV impression. You never get a good idea of how the guitar actually sounds naturally, you just get hear what this dude's bad boss blues driver pedal and lame sauce zoom delay sounds like. Gimmie a break! I wish people could get a little creative and actually showcase the guitar in a way that was fun to watch/listen to. I promise when I get me new VOS 335 I will be posting some quality vids. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND I'm out!

I just have to say it. I have noticed the horrific trend of every time I'm jonesing to get a sweet look and a listen after some guitar I'm lusting after, most of the time a 335 or Gibby hollow body of some make or kind, I travel the ole information super highway to the youtubes. And guess what I find 9 times out of 10? Some white dude playing lame *** white boy blues to a horrific, cringe inducing backing track. I mean talk about seriously bad, and just a waste of my time. No one is ever playing sweet jazz compositions, interesting chord melodies or some cool original thing they made up, or even a cover of a great song that showcases what the guitar can really do and really sounds like (most of the time), instead, it's cranked with some lame distortion pedal by a fat guy sitting in a chair in front of his computer wanking off on a nauseating SRV impression. You never get a good idea of how the guitar actually sounds naturally, you just get hear what this dude's bad boss blues driver pedal and lame sauce zoom delay sounds like. Gimmie a break! I wish people could get a little creative and actually showcase the guitar in a way that was fun to watch/listen to. I promise when I get me new VOS 335 I will be posting some quality vids. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND I'm out!

Glad you said it and not me [lol] my reputation is bad enough already [lol]

I agree with you, we need more clean sounds and better melody... by the way, this guy tends to showcase guitars well, I would be surprised if you didn't come across at least one of his videos....

He uses backing tracks, but I am not sure how you would showcase a guitar without at least having a backing track...

I don't use any distortion pedals or pre-amp gain or pre-amp tube saturation. Just turn up the volume to saturate the amplifier tubes and use my guitar volume to tame the tone.

Hey, I like SVR and the audience like it, too. However, wish I could play more Jazz precisely.

You know, I have nothing against SRV per se, I mean I don't like him, that's not my bag, in fact I have a pretty serious disdain for all things "texas blues" or guys with three names playing stratocasters (see Kenny Wayne Shepard) but that's beyond the point. I'm just saying let's see some interesting original type stuff on you tube. It does not have to be Joe Pass, just some strumming would be cool for a change, or some little turnaround that you made up, a cool arpeggio from this album you've been totally digging, anything besides terrible cliche blues jams with some terrible sounding backing track you downloaded off of the innerwebs. I mean here's the thing, I would really hope that if you're spending the amount of money that you are spending on these guitars you know the difference between cool and cheesy, but unfortunately, not the case. So often, I've found, cheese rules the day, it really is a shame.

Glad you said it and not me [lol] my reputation is bad enough already [lol]

I agree with you, we need more clean sounds and better melody... by the way, this guy tends to showcase guitars well, I would be surprised if you didn't come across at least one of his videos....

He uses backing tracks, but I am not sure how you would showcase a guitar without at least having a backing track...

Hey Cajun Blues, I guess this guy is better than some, and I certainly have come across him many times as he's got a lot of glorious guit-fiddles that he showcases, but when he uses the backing track, yeah, cheesy. Really horribly cheesy. And so often he's just going through the lame, boring, exhausted footsteps of millions of guitarists who have posted videos before him. I mean, I don't want to be too judgmental, I know every youtube video is not going to be a bold artistic statement or a creative watershed, however, I just hate terrible blues. And also cheesy backing tracks. I much prefer when he loops his own stuff and plays to it rather than using bad, bad, terrible, horrible, cringe inducing background tracks. Ok, off the soap box.

The guy with the ES-137 actually plays pretty well, but he's pretty derivative--it sounds to me like his biggest influences are Cream-era Eric Clapton and Gary Moore. Great players, both of them, but this guy doesn't seem to be bringing anything of himself to what they've already done. Still, it's well-played. And I totally agree with everyone regarding all the little Stevie Ray Vaughanabees. SRV was great--what I dug most about him was that he wore his influences on his sleeve while managing to sound just like himself, but these guys who think Stevie invented the blues need to get a life. I remember when a Strat was considered to not be a blues guitar--I showed up with one on a blues gig back in the '70's, and was asked point-blank why I didn't have a REAL blues guitar like a 355 or at least a Tele. (I love 335/345/355's--I just didn't have one at the time.) It was always the white-boy wannabees who had the preconceived notions--the black guys didn't care, as long as you could play. Don't blame SRV for the imitators!

If Gregor Hilden on Youtube playing any number of ES-335 models, vintage and reissue, as well as other classic Gibsons doesn't demonstrate the natural tone qualities you are looking for---find one better! I seriously doubt any of us on this post can come close--including me! Just sayin....

Your racist references to white people are offensive. They should delete this racist and silly rant from this forum. Thousands of Youtube demonstrations and you can't fine any good blues? Obviously, you're as full of crap as you are an offensive racist punk.

Hey Cajun Blues, I guess this guy is better than some, and I certainly have come across him many times as he's got a lot of glorious guit-fiddles that he showcases, but when he uses the backing track, yeah, cheesy. Really horribly cheesy. And so often he's just going through the lame, boring, exhausted footsteps of millions of guitarists who have posted videos before him. I mean, I don't want to be too judgmental, I know every youtube video is not going to be a bold artistic statement or a creative watershed, however, I just hate terrible blues. And also cheesy backing tracks. I much prefer when he loops his own stuff and plays to it rather than using bad, bad, terrible, horrible, cringe inducing background tracks. Ok, off the soap box.

It's the pits when there's nothing creative.

"Hey guys! Hey guys! VOODOO CHILE - SRV'S VERSION!"

I relate to the desire to drool over somebody else's guitars, but youtube might be a bad place for it, if you think about it. Stick to photo galleries and playing the guitars for yourself whenever you're at the guitar store. The guys who are actually making interesting music probably have a life. So, they're not uploading vids of themselves (often solo) showcasing their gear with corny cover chops onto youtube. (Or are they showcasing their corny cover chops with their gear?)

Those guys seem kind of pathetic & desperate. Besides, you'd never get a decent idea of what the guitar sounds like through your computer speakers. Think about how much your computer speakers color the signal. Then consider the cheesy guy who made the video -- he prob used some cheesy pedals, after that his amp will also define a lot of the tone, the microphone will definitely color the signal at that point, then there's the pre-amp, then there's the compression. It's pretty silly to look to youtube to hear what a guitar sounds like, once you think about it.

Your racist references to white people are offensive. They should delete this racist and silly rant from this forum. Thousands of Youtube demonstrations and you can't fine any good blues? Obviously, you're as full of crap as you are an offensive racist punk.

HHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Whoa brother, nothing racist here, pal. I am a white guy. You might want to put the hood on and get back to the klan meeting.

It's the pits when there's nothing creative.

"Hey guys! Hey guys! VOODOO CHILE - SRV'S VERSION!"

I relate to the desire to drool over somebody else's guitars, but youtube might be a bad place for it, if you think about it. Stick to photo galleries and playing the guitars for yourself whenever you're at the guitar store. The guys who are actually making interesting music probably have a life. So, they're not uploading vids of themselves (often solo) showcasing their gear with corny cover chops onto youtube. (Or are they showcasing their corny cover chops with their gear?)

Those guys seem kind of pathetic & desperate. Besides, you'd never get a decent idea of what the guitar sounds like through your computer speakers. Think about how much your computer speakers color the signal. Then consider the cheesy guy who made the video -- he prob used some cheesy pedals, after that his amp will also define a lot of the tone, the microphone will definitely color the signal at that point, then there's the pre-amp, then there's the compression. It's pretty silly to look to youtube to hear what a guitar sounds like, once you think about it.

Exactly. But when you're just jonesing to check out that one specific guitar and you just want to find anything, sometimes it ends up in a youtube search. It would just be nice to find a few examples that really are great at showcasing the guitar, and some nice playing. More times than not it's jazz players. I found this one girl doing an excellent version of We Montgomery's version of "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face." It's a breath of fresh air to watch! Actually, here it is:

*hopefully this works*

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GBmjwmLl1tY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Exactly. But when you're just jonesing to check out that one specific guitar and you just want to find anything, sometimes it ends up in a youtube search. It would just be nice to find a few examples that really are great at showcasing the guitar, and some nice playing. More times than not it's jazz players. I found this one girl doing an excellent version of We Montgomery's version of "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face." It's a breath of fresh air to watch! Actually, here it is:

*hopefully this works*

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GBmjwmLl1tY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well here's the link anyway:

Archived