Gibson Brands Forums

I'd like your expert opinions of year

RRIDER

I think I have the year of my ES 335 figured out, but would like to see what you guys think it is. My Father in law bought it new, but no paper work has been found for it...My M-I-L gave it to me a few years ago. I know it is from the Norlin era, but is a sweet player! Serial # is 620974 and Made In USA. I know it was made in Kalamazoo.

IM000879.jpg

IM000881.jpg

IM000889.jpg

IM000890.jpg

IM000880a.jpg

IM000884a.jpg

That's one of those hard to decipher serial #s. Could be any number of different years in the 70s - 1970-74 or thereabouts. Gibson just made a mess out their numbering system back then.

Gibson said the same thing..But did say that since the i is dotted it isn't a 1970..I know it is older than a 74, and it seems to me the pick up covers were only engraved with Gibson in 71-72...Anyone know for sure?

The "Gibson" embossed pickups start showing up in late 1970, and disappeared in early '73. I can't tell from the photo, but I am assuming the existence of a headstock volute. The embossed pickups give the "era", so for within that era I've made a little column chart below.

Embossed pickups: 70, 71, 72, 73

Made In USA stamp: 70, 71, 72, 73

Serial number: 70, 71, 72

Peghead logo: 72, 73

Looks like 1972 is the winner.

I would (and will) guess the pots codes to be late '71 or early '72. Post the pot codes and let's see.

The "Gibson" embossed pickups start showing up in late 1970, and disappeared in early '73. I can't tell from the photo, but I am assuming the existence of a headstock volute. The embossed pickups give the "era", so for within that era I've made a little column chart below.

Embossed pickups: 70, 71, 72, 73

Made In USA stamp: 70, 71, 72, 73

Serial number: 70, 71, 72

Peghead logo: 72, 73

Looks like 1972 is the winner.

I would (and will) guess the pots codes to be late '71 or early '72. Post the pot codes and let's see.

Thanks Larry! I've been thinking a late 71 or a 72.

I don't know if you feel like pulling the pots to get the codes, but it seems like that's the only way to be sure.

Pfox, as long as the pots work fine...I don't think I want to pull them.

Just use an inspection mirror and a flashlight...

J/W

J/W, I might try the mirror and flashlight, but the old eyes aren't what they used to be.

It looks to have a Small volute.. smaller I think means ealier..from what Ive seen.. 1974 to 82 era.. the Volutes got bigger as well..

Nice Guitar..

Thanks and yes it is nice especially for a 40 yr old guitar. 1974 to 82 era is not possible. I know that first hand. My FIL passed away in 75 he didn't play it about the last 1 1/2 yrs of his life, he made payments on it for a year and it was paid off before he got sick. Besides the 6 digit serial number couldn't possibly be newer than 1974 if I recall correctly..That's why I'm pretty certain it is either a 71 or 72.

Archived