Gibson Brands Forums

SG what year

itsinurmind

In what way has it been modified and does this reduce the value of the guitar?

The handle has been cut off it.......I'm not sure how this really affects the guitar value; The value is mostly in the guitar itself......

Replacing the Bigsby handle is no big deal...........Nice guitar by the way.................[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ..........

How bout a serial # or something else to go by?

There is nothing else required, the guitar has already been properly identified and dated (as well as you can with a early 70's Gibson). A serial number for a guitar of this era is most likely useless in providing any details as to specific year of manufacture.

The SG Deluxe was made from sometime in 1971 and discontinued in late '72 or very early 1973. There were over 7000 of them made, most of them in 1972. By mathematical odds alone, the chances are this guitar was made in '72, and will have pot codes to confirm that assumption.

The bigsby arm is fine, I removed it because I kept knocking it and it would put the guitar out of tune, its still in the guitar case. Looks cooler without it anyway.

Serial number is 675966 made in USA, its stamped not engraved, which made me concerned for a while, then I saw similar guitars and felt some peace of mind.

Anyone have any idea how much its worth??

Archived